Infamous Olympus

Frank Fusco

I'm still learning to use my new Olympus camera. I'm also still blown away at how much technology is packed into this little package. Enneyhow, the learning part is my problem. But, a design feature I really don't like is that the camera is difficult to hold. One of the accessories I purchased for it is an auxiliary flash that works wirelessly with radio signals up to about 50 feet. For extra light and bounce features, I mounted the standard way with a bar. Whole thang still hard to hold. :bang: So, nice thing about having a big, huge, powerful, expensive lathe is that I can go into shop (something I haven't had time to do much of lately) and make a handy little handle. :headbang: Which I did from some mahogany I had in the 'maybe this will be useful someday' barrel. Does make it much easier to hold. I simply stuck a piece of a 1/4"X20 bolt into a hole in top and fixed with 5 min. epoxy for the stud. Works. :D

Attachments

• infamous Olympus.jpg
    infamous Olympus.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 67
Looks like a great setup Frank. I have a big Canon with all the bells and whistles. Now I just need to take a course on how to take pictures with it.:dunno: I hate it when machines are smarter than me.:rofl: I generally end up using the wife's point and shoot camera which takes a pretty fair picture.

Frank, you are correct on the learning curve. It can be steep. I've been a working freelance photographer for the last 15 years and when I made the switch from film to digital I was in a fog. I can shoot hundreds of shots every day. I use some of the most high end Canon equipment every day and there are still days when I have to pull out a manual to remind me of a feature. They are great tools and can do so much but just like the woodworker in all of us, it is up to us to learn proper use and technique.
I like the bracket you made. Well done.

Tom

That looks like it'll work great, Frank. Real functional, and it has the old-time "newspaper man" look to it which seems appropriate for you considering your history. :thumb:

Frank
What is the model number of the flash and how pricey are they? Is the offset you have enough to eliminate redeye or does it not help with the arrangement you have.

Thanks
Garry

Looks nice and functional Frank. My 40D still has so much I haven't learned yet. I make it a point to try something new with it every week and use that function several times that week so I don't for get it's there. This week was playing with the exposure settings, amazing how much a stop up or down makes.

I like to follow some of the challenges over on the Digital Photography School site. They sometimes force you to try things you either normally would not do or not think to do.

:rofl::rofl: Vaughn thats exactly what i was thinking. When i got to your thread i could not believe the words. SNAP.!

View attachment 44795 Like this guy a young Frank:D:thumb:

Fact is, except for the tag in the hatband, that WAS me at one time. My first newspaper job, at age 13, they stuck a Speed Graphic in my hands and handed me a sack full of film slides and flash bulbs.
BTW, those flash bulbs were sumptin' else. Today they would be confiscated by the ATF as dangerous weapons.

Frank
What is the model number of the flash and how pricey are they? Is the offset you have enough to eliminate redeye or does it not help with the arrangement you have.

Thanks
Garry

It is a Vivitar SF4000, about $40.00. Does not eliminate red eye but adds power and bounce capability. I really like the versatility of the wireless remote. I can hand the flash to someone else and place them off to the side, on a ladder, or whatever and use to fill or for special effects. The camera has a red eye elimination feature but I don't use it. I have found some folks think the pre-flash is the picture being taken and they move or change expressions before the actual exposure happens.