Took a reaming out from my wife last night.

allen levine

As I was taking a look at my lost nail and cut up thumb,(I stuck it into the bandsaw blade this week, I feel like a jerk), my wife came over to take a look.
It looks fine, the wound healed nicely, half the nail is gone. Im lucky. Very lucky.

We were talking about machines and accidents and I mentioned one day Ill splurge and buy a saw stop, since I see they are making a contractors model also.

My wife then began to call me names, like idiot, kaka for brains, etc.......she insisted I sell my ridgid TS and get a sawstop.
She says with all the money I spend on supplies, why wouldnt I have the one machine that makes sense.

I had nothing to say to her after that.
Cant figure out why she married an idiot like me.

now that I wont purchase anything from my local tool guy(who ofcourse handles sawstop), I need to find someone close enough to deliver it, and I want them to assemble it. Its difficult for me to assemble heavy things these days, and I dont want to have to rely on getting a friend or neighbor everytime I have to lift or move something.
If that isnt possible, I guess Ill pick it up somewhere and have to bug my son again.
He should be moving out within a few weeks so when he empties the shed, Ill have alot more room for storage, and can rearrange things in the garage/shop. No rush, Im not planning on doing any building for the next month or two , maybe just a small night stand, and the ply is already cut for that.

Allan - you can see what I went through setting up my SawStop PCS here. It's in blog (reverse) order but it's not too long. Scroll to the bottom and work up.

Other than getting the saw into your shop, there's not a lot of heavy lifting.

Mike

Allen

I no genius at putting things together and was never noted for being a strong guy but with notice I could probably make it up some weekend and give you a hand. Its only about 3 hours from here to Fort Lee and I think I would take a right before I got there. If you get serious PM me and we will try and work something out. My wife plans a lot of trips to see the grandkids and I will be gone to the Keys in June so some give and take might be required but I am pretty sure I could give you a couple of days somewhere. And as I am retired it wouldn't have to be a weekend.

Allan - you can see what I went through setting up my SawStop PCS here. It's in blog (reverse) order but it's not too long. Scroll to the bottom and work up.

Other than getting the saw into your shop, there's not a lot of heavy lifting.

Mike

Im guessing by looking at your blog its a similar assembly to most saws.
Although Id be getting the contractor style, its the same wing attachments and hooking up the mobile base and other components.
I cannot do it.
I can read and understand the assembly fine, but my physical limitations get very frustrating, so Ive learned how to deal with what I can do and what I cant do.
I barely had the hand strength today to finish sanding and applying oil to my cabinet Im currently building. IM only getting in 4-5 hours a day max in the wood shop instead of 10 hours I was putting in 2 years back.
I am not complaining, just stating matter of factly I know I will not be able to handle it at this point.
But Im still looking foward to the day I get one home.

Garry, thats a great offer. IM 35 minutes from the GW bridge and fort lee, jersey.
I wouldnt be making the purchase until I finish up my work in my house and get my son moved into his home.
and the weekend thing is good, since I only work on the weekends nowadays.
Jim-I was thinking of bugging you to take a drive when I purchased it.My neighbor that is a contractor would give me a hand also if I can catch him on a free day.(not easy)

Last edited:
Allen

The easiest thing is to buy it and have it delivered to my place.

I'll assemble it, test it, make sure everything is fine. Lot's of testing necessary.

Once I'm sure it's ok we'll figure out how to get it to you. That may take a little while, you'll just need to be patient. I'm very thorough.

Seriously - I'd come out and set it up. We just need another person available to help with some of the heavy lifting.

Schedule wise we'd have to find a good time - it's unbelievable how my calendar has filled up this summer already. What's the timeline on your sons house?

Step 1 would be to get the son into his own house
Step 2 would be to get the SS ordered.
Step 3 would be to get it delivered and into the garage.
Step 4 would be a NE FWW gathering at Allen's to assemble his SS PCS.

Ordering online and paying for lift gate service SHOULD get it rolled into your garage by the trucker on a pallet jack. Never had it done, but that's what everyone says they do.

I don't know who's selling SS online, but they gotta be doing it.

I'll review the previously mentioned blog on assembly to see what it looks like.

Cheers

Jim

Both Rockler and Woodcraft sell the SawStop. If you bought it online from one of these stores in New Hampshire (no sales tax) I would be happy to pick it up and bring it down to you. I can't do a lot of lifting myself due to COPD, But if we had a couple of other guys there we could easily do it.

a great offer indeed, but Id never put you out like that. Thats some trip.
New Hampshire, thats like almost another country.
I appreciate the offer, but Im pretty sure the 2 or 3 dealers around here will assemble it for me, or Ill figure it out, theres help around. Nice offer though bob, but you can visit me anytime.

You're not foolin' anybody. You picked up that Ridgid saw knowing full well that if you could get LOYL to come up with the idea of a SS, it would be smooth sailing. Well done. I salute you.

nah, I stuck my thumb into the bandsaw with a new Ellis blade on it so shed feel sorry for me.
but what it did do, is confirm my worst fear of just how quick and non-forgiving moving blades are.

I tried so hard to set up the machine to resaw wood.
I made a large fence, didnt help.
Seems no matter how well I had the tracking and tension, the saw seems to have a natural tiny drift.
so I put the resawing guide on, didnt help.

The easiest way I discovered was to just draw a line down the middle of the board and hold it slowly, and I cut near perfectly a straight cut. I was able to give a bit on the natural drift, or the drift I cant correct, and got a nice straight cut.
One or two quick passes through the planer it was all done.
I struggled for hours ruining cuts then cutting my finger, all for nothing.

Last edited:
Allen,

From FWW's John White on Band Saw Tuneup:

Align the fence for drift
Begin by drawing a straight line parallel to the edge of a test board. Rip
the board freehand, adjusting your feed angle until the blade naturally
follows the line.
Once the blade is following the line, hold the stock in place and turn off the saw. Use a marker to draw a line on the tabletop along the edge of the stock. Reinstall the fence and adjust its angle parallel with the mark on the table.
Begin by drawing a straight line parallel to the edge of a test board. Rip
the board freehand, adjusting your feed angle until the blade naturally
follows the line.