New Work Bench

Don Baer

Staff member
As part of my shop redesign I am planning a work bench that will fit along the west wall. Workbench.jpg It will be 24" wide and 8 ft. long. I am planning on using 8/4 maple and am planning on 1 vise on the end. I might add a second vice on the side. The back side will have a tray 1" deep. am I missing anything ?

Skip the tray. Only collects junk and sawdust. Better to leave space under the bench to clamp stuff to the bench from both sides. I also found that one bench with all around access was the most handy.

I have two vises on one end of one of my benches. That has proved to be very handy. I did put a leg bench on the front side. Hardly every use it. Wasn't worth the effort.

On the other bench I have one quick release vise on the right end. Don't see the need for another at this point.

Why not come up and look things over?

Why not come up and look things over?

Might have to do that, I am sure Sherrie is up for a ROAD TRIP...:D

In terms of walk around, I am planning this bench for the wall in my smaller shop, oppisite the table saw. If I can make enough room in the other side I might make another one which I can have freestanding. If I could get my son to get rid of his junk then I could move the TS over there and have more room in the smaller shop.

Last edited: