Big Fish

Don Baer

Staff member
attachment.php

FYI: This sturgeon is still alive, just worn out from the fight.
As the sports fishermen they are, they turned him loose after the photo.

This Sturgeon was caught in the Missouri River, North of Bismarck, North Dakota two weeks ago.
It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs and measured out at 11'1".

It was 56" around the girth and took over 6 and a half hours, and 4 dozen beers, for the 4 guys taking turns
at the reeling it in.

Any Sturgeon OVER about five feet has to be released unharmed and cannot be removed from the water.

Attachments

• Big Fish.jpg
    Big Fish.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 181
what a catch but how did they weight the fish without removing it from the water

as for the weight issue they can put them in a sling and weigh them or can just go off measurements and do a approx. weight. after you have on record some weights of certain species you can get real close from measurements.

Larry, I will have to agree with you about the fish weight

Actually......sturgeon are have no scales so it was just a WAG.......

I knew that sturgeon have no scales but they do have bony plates called scutes I think. I have never seen one as large as the one pictured. Scary to think that creatures that size are swimming around in fresh water but I suppose they are essentially harmless...except to whatever they eat.:p

Nevertheless, the point of my comment was to make a joke. I apologize if anyone was offended by a very old joke....

I knew that sturgeon have no scales but they do have bony plates called scutes I think. I have never seen one as large as the one pictured. Scary to think that creatures that size are swimming around in fresh water but I suppose they are essentially harmless...except to whatever they eat.:p

Nevertheless, the point of my comment was to make a joke. I apologize if anyone was offended by a very old joke....

what old joke ? it's not as old as I am and I were not offended by it---do you /we know how old that fish is ? --it may not be the biggest fish in that body of water

Issues on your age Ray or just having a bad day? Lighten up a little, please.

this is the second time that someone ask me to lighten up, I become a member of this forum to talk about wood turning but if everybody wants to joke then you can remove my name

I just think we need a little time to get to know ya Ray! :thumb:

Stick around, Post some of your projects or questions and get to know us a little better in the working portion of the forums!