Tandy Leather Anyone?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Out driving and doing some errands today. Was at a stoplight and right there was a sign for "Tandy Leather". Well, I haven't been in one of those stores since I was probably 14 years old... A Quick right turn and there I was.

All of the old smells were their and the kits and stuff!

Anywho, to make this wood working related, the reason I stopped in is that I 'Know' that a while ago I had put down 'leather' on a list of things to buy, but for the life of me I can't remember what project I would have needed leather for.

So I bought a couple of neat kits, a leatherman/flashlight holster and a new dog collar for Bucky. I also got a good sized chunk of leather to use for misc projects.

So far I'm thinking:

1) Padded jaws for my vices
2) Holster for a my chip carving knives.
3) A nice new big strop for my plane blades.

But thats about where I run out of ideas...

Anybody else have any ideas for leather use in the shop?

Brent - Thanks for the post.

I have an original Leatherman tool that for some reason I discarded the belt sheath. I currently carry it in what passes for my briefcase - a small laptop bag without the laptop.

It's too big and heavy to carry in my pants pocket and I haven't gotten around to getting one direct from Leatherman.

This gives me another option. I've book marked the site for future reference.

Cheers

Jim

I go through 2 or 3 sides a year.:thumb: I have a whole stack of sheep hides up stairs. and bins in the shop for rivets, buckles and what not. And a whole rain bow of leather dyes.:thumb:
Oh and Bruce the Tandy guy is at almost every event we are.:thumb::thumb:
He's very dangerous almost as dangerous as a Woodcraft store. But he's not as dangerous as Larry the leather guy. That's also at almost every event that we are and seems to make something either I or KaLea just can't live a whole life with out. Like right now I'm waiting for him to finish up my knew scabbard
I think I have started a tradition every year a new sward so every winter Larry has to make me a new scabbard.:rofl::rofl:

New swords? Don't tell me you forge them yourself out of old car springs and turn them into something shiny and expensive? For some reason that sure would't surprise me! :D

I use my old rawhide leather working hammer for tightening the tailstock on my lathe... Now if I can just find my old leather working tools, I'll be in business. :thumb:

No Brent I don't make them But I know some one that does:thumb:
First pick is happy. Happy is a handmade full suit of battle ready armor with sword
Second, third and fourth my swords. Ok the rapiers are KaLea"s
Fifth pic is some of Larry's handy work.

Attachments

• tn_swards 001.JPG
    tn_swards 001.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 25
  • tn_swards 002.JPG
    tn_swards 002.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 30
  • tn_swards 003.JPG
    tn_swards 003.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
  • tn_swards 004.JPG
    tn_swards 004.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 27
  • tn_swards 005.JPG
    tn_swards 005.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Good thing those jaws face out.....

I used to do a lot of leather work until they closed all the stores around here. I still have 2 racks of stamps and just found a pile of copper rivits. The mice enjoyed the rawhide hammer. My fault for moving all the stuff to the garage.

I'll take a scrap strip and wrap it around a piece of wood I want to drill on the drill press. So I can hold it with channel locks:thumb:

I'm forever making something out of leather or deer/elk/whatever hides. For me, Tandy is a last resort source for leather working tools. Way too expensive. But, they do have a big selection.

Brent, here is another project for you to add on the to do list it will keep you on the flat work track

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/jThompson/howTo/smallMallet/smallMallet-1.asp

I plan on making a couple of these soon.:D:thumb:

BTW i discovered a Tandy store about an hour from me. Great person runs it and thank goodness its an hour away. Its just another vortex.:rofl:
Keep an eye on their website. Once you have a feel for the gauge they refer to for thickness of leather, they have real specials on a side of leather.

I have done quiet a few things with my piece since having it around.

A neat one was repairing LOML stool for sitting at her dressing table. It had a woven leather strip seat that had broken over time. Replaced the strips with strips i made from my side of leather.

Covered the faces of my vise jaws......my jury is still out on this idea.:huh:

Enjoy. Todd thanks for the link and Stu now you can see how your archives come in handy. I think i will try one of those too.:D:thumb:

... thank goodness its an hour away. Its just another vortex.:rofl:
Closest to me is less than 6 mile / 15 minute. Unfortunately, as part of the restore on the scooter's saddle bags

SaddleBag.jpg

and seat (should be red top with white skirt)

SaddleBag-Seat.jpg

I'll probably have to pay a visit ... which leads back to an old hobby of handsewn doeskin gloves and gauntlets. :rofl: :wave:

Thanks for reminding me of my youth. I didn't know Tandy still existed.

Radio shack is a Tandy company... or used to be, don't know if they are still connected or not.

I haven't done any leather work since vacation bible school when I was about 10... still remember how much fun it was. I use a leather washer on my headstock spindle to keep the chucks from wedging onto the headstock... I cut it from an old K-bar military grade leather sheath... don't know where the knife is, don't remember ever owning one that would have fit the sheath...
I had one I found in my garage in a house I once rented in Novato, CA ... it was behind a cabinet on the wall and I moved the cabinet to another place in the garage.... the knife had been there long enough that the leather handle had dried to the point that the cylinders of leather were shrunk and loose ... don't know where that one is either... it evidently missed one or two of my last moves...:(