Turning a screwdriver handle - have a question . . .

Jim Mattheiss

Hello:

The hex driver for my Incra Miter Gauge is goofed up. The hex shaft is no longer attached tightly to the handle, so when you try to tighten/loosen a screw the handle rotates and the hex shaft doesn't.

I have a wood blank that is large enough to become a replacement handle.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole centered into one end of the blank just a teeny bit too small for the hex shaft.

Turn to shape and then attempt to force/tap/press the hex shaft into the hole. Too much force might bend the hex key though.

Plan-B is to make the just large enough and epoxy the hex shaft in place. That seems easier and more permanent.

Any thoughts on the best way to make the attachment?

Any useful advise is always appreciated. Smart aleck responses will be tolerated if they make me laugh. I've no interest in BUYING a new hex screwdriver - what's the challenge in that?

Cheers

Jim

I'd go with the epoxy route.

I'd also think about maybe drilling a hole through the handle, and the hex key, and pinning it with a nail, if the hex key isn't too hard to drill through.

Plan B. Cut rings or notches in handle. Epoxy would work but, I believe, in this case, Gorilla type glue is best choice. I have made a number of screwdriver type tools and always make hole 'just right'. Can be tricky, undersized, you will split handle, oversize you have wasted your time.
Because I have a supply, I usually make from Osage Orange, really tough stuff. But any hardwood is OK.

Thanks for all the replies.

I cut the plastic handle off this evening and it had 2 little tabs at the end.

I had a piece of what I believe was walnut that I used as the blank.

A quick 15 minutes on the lathe and voila - it's a screwdriver handle! :thumb:
attachment.php

I left the knot natural - didn't fill/epoxy around it - and epoxied the hex shank into the handle.

This vortex stuff is pretty cool.

Cheers

Jim

PS : Allen might recognize the wood - it's from the stash he gave me earlier this year.

Attachments

• DSCF5569 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF5569 (Medium).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Nice finish on that screwer... I do so love Walnut, but (always a but) I don'r believe that the handle of a tool is an appropriate place for inclusion. I would fear that it would be abrasive to the hand as well as a weak feature. Good practice but a clear wood would have been my choice.

Thanks for posting the project.