sell 1642 for 3520?

Dennis Kranz

I have the Jet 1642-2 and am considering selling it for the Powermatic 3520. Have any of you done such a thing and did you wish you never did it. I don't have the room for both and I also have a Jet 1014 taking up space. Am I crazy for maybe doing this or is it the best idea yet?
Dennis

Yer not crazy. There are capability differences between the two. Check them out, as I'm sure you already have, and decide if your turning interests are limited by your current lathe.
If it just a matter of 'want', then, by all means, you MUST buy the PM and probably a new pick up truck at the same time. :rolleyes:

Frank funny you should mention the pickup truck. I am in the market for a small pickup. Need a wood hauler.
Dennis

Dennis one other thing I always look at. Is it a want or is it a need? Another thing to look at is if you are going to sell say for example bowls you turn. I don't know about your area but every bowl I have turned over 16" I have had to give away or donate to a charity auction. I still have two 18.5" bowls that I have $35 price on them and they are still sitting at the Gallery now for over 2 yrs.

Several years ago I had the itch for a 3520b and sold the 1642-2 that I had owned for several years to buy a 3520b. The answer to your question is; It depends on much you value/can spare the $1000 PLUS difference it will probably cost you. The 3520b is a real honey and the last lathe I'll ever buy. It's much heavier duty and can better handle larger bowl work, larger hollow forms, etc. However the 1642-2 really served me well and I had zero complaints with it. In short, if you are not doing stuff that challenges the diameter capacity of the 1642 why bother. That said, I have not been sorry that I made the move, so I guess I haven't helped answer the question. Either way you are blessed to have such good equipment (see the Moroccan turner with the bow lathe). Good luck with the decision. By the way, I found turning 12" and larger bowls significantly easier on the 3520b P.S. I have not added ballast to either lathe when using them. Dale

I want to thank all of you for your ansewers. After reading these and from another forum I do believe that the 3520 is a want and not a need. I am going to keep the Jet for now and have already started making my extra tool list. My first stop was with Monster tools and then I talked with Doug.
Thanks Again
Dennis

I have a 3520B and have never turned on the 1642, but I think you're making the right decision to stay with the Jet for now. If you later find that the 16" swing is a limiting factor to your work, then you can revisit the question. For the vast majority of turners, 16" is enough room for a career's worth of work. For me, I like turning big pieces, so I think the extra swing (and the dropped extension bed) has been worth it. (Bernie's right though...big bowls are not big sellers for me so far.)

I'm sure Randy and Doug can help you find something to do with some of the money you're saving. :D

Well, you probably made a wise decision, but, let me tell you, if I had the money I'd sell my Nova in a heartbeat and get a Powermatic or a Oneway. No need, just want one, but also no MONEY. The lathe is my favorite tool to work in and of coarse the most I use. Someday, if I live long enough I well get a top notch one, someday, someday, someday.

Dennis,
I have a Jet 1442, one size smaller than the 1642. I actually looked at the 1642 and liked most everything about it.. especially the EVS. However, I thought I wanted to turn out board and the 1642 didn't have a swiveling head stock... you have to slide the headstock to the end of the ways... won't work in my shop layout, so I went with the 1442. I also looked at the PM... loved everything about it.. except the price... wasn't in the budget then or now, but still think it's a great machine... never turned on one, but saw several demo's where the artist was turning on one... a dream machine.
All that said, I don't regret my 1442 one bit... matter of fact, I'm having serious withdrawals over it.... it's in the shop right now after I messed up a pulley during a belt change... I evidently lost a cotter key that holds the pulleys in place on the spindle shaft... I think it fell out during the belt change process and I left the cover open for a couple of days, the pack rates stuffed the headstock with nuts and took the cotter key... I guess the nuts were payment for the key??:dunno::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Keep the Jet and you will have something to aspire towards for the PM....:thumb: