Starting to hate Ridgid

Just about to the point to where I hate my Ridgid table saw. I have a 4511. The first one I had broke to arbor shaft on May 5, 09. That was either the first or second to break, and what caused the recall. Now today I am making a 30 degree bevel rip. I started the saw and hear a ticking sound. I shut it down and move blade by hand. Nothing. Start again and sound is worse. Shut it down and pull the throat plate and find this.
IMG_3984.jpg

The bolt for the trunnion had backed out and was hitting the dang blade. Well I tightened it up and went on to finish what I was working on. Don't know how much more I can take from these Ridgid tools. I found another problem today as well. Might put that in another post. Going to take some brain power to fix this one. Might just go get me a Uni.

Well that bites. I'd be interested to see the details about the other problem you mentioned. I've had zero problems with my TS3650, but if there's a specific model with problems, we can all benefit from knowing about it.

When you find things like this use blue loctite. I have a Craftsman fence that I read all kinds of bad posts about turned out where the fence joins the guide shoe that fits the rail were big allen headed bolts & this is where it would always come loose, Well when I assembled my fence I had used loctite & couldn't figure out what everyone was complaining about. I got rid of the saw but kept the fence it is now on my Dad's 1950's Craftsman saw a much better saw I might add & works great.

Vaughn, not a lot of details left. Ridgid/ TTI had a problem with the way the ends of the shaft were heat treated. That is why some saws were recalled and some were not. They narrowed down the dates in question and went from there. I took mine back and exchanged it for a different one, before the recall. Luckily I got a good date code. The 4511 was stopped being sold in HD , now they have returned at a lower price. Not sure if the stop was because of the shaft or some deal problems between Ridgid and HD.

Here is a picture of where it broke.
IMG_4089.jpg

Thats a 3/4 dado with out the washer and it broke right at the end of the nut.

I've wondered lately if the re-appearance of the 4511 isn't due to the problems with Steel City, and the guys from the old Delta group that started it, and them leaving and someone else taking over the company. This change in leadership could have caused the saw not to ship for a while, and Ridgid may not have known if they would ever see it again. Anyone know if Sears has run into supply problems with their saws that we think are built by the same factory as the Steel City hybrid units? If they have, it would lend more credence to this thought. Jim.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadlocker-Green-Wicking-bottle/dp/B0002KKTRM

Just for you Jeff:

LOL, we used to use that stuff on locks and lockers for pranks. We'd use it to seize up something we didn't want someone to open ever again, it would work it's way through the tumblers... :rolleyes:

Seriously the blue loctite is excellent for preventing backouts, but where you might want to take it apart later. The red loctite is for permanent installations.

Cheers,

LOL, we used to use that stuff on locks and lockers for pranks. We'd use it to seize up something we didn't want someone to open ever again, it would work it's way through the tumblers... :rolleyes:

Seriously the blue loctite is excellent for preventing backouts, but where you might want to take it apart later. The red loctite is for permanent installations.

Cheers,

I always figure I may want to take something apart later.

Cheers,

I know that is supposed to be the feature of red. But, for decades, I have used it on gun parts of all kinds. When used on screws, I have successfully removed those screws later if necessary. On modern guns, I particularly appreciate it on scope mount screws.

The loctite only bonds well if you use primer. Without it, any oil residue at all on the bolts and it will just form a gummy substance that helps prevent vibration from loosening them, but doesn't really bond well.

Also, try using a little heat on bolts when you want to remove them. I've heard numbers around 250-350 F for the loctite to return to a liquid state.

-Jeb

Sorry to hear of your saw issues, Steve - I quite like my 4511.

They sent a mechanic out to replace the arbor shaft on mine under warranty, on site, even though I had not had any issues with it.

I have noticed my local Orange Borg now has a couple of these, boxed, on the sales floor - they had been absent for several months.

I might just have to take a peek inside & see if any bolts look to be working loose, but as I said, I quite like mine.

-Kevin in Indy

Funny about the loctite green. Actually Loctite make over 20,000 products. You can get a thread locker for many different applications. They are rated for how much gap filling they do to a given torque rating. (shear strength)

I agree with Frank. For scope mounts red is the best and sometimes the only one that will hold up to repeated shocking.

Incidentally, they make one that will bond cracks in wood permanently. I forget the # but I do remember that you have to keep it refrigerated. When you apply it to a crack it smokes and crackles. It will repair a crack in the end of a longbow. (that's serious bonding power):D

The loctite only bonds well if you use primer. Without it, any oil residue at all on the bolts and it will just form a gummy substance that helps prevent vibration from loosening them, but doesn't really bond well.

Also, try using a little heat on bolts when you want to remove them. I've heard numbers around 250-350 F for the loctite to return to a liquid state.

-Jeb

I clean my parts with spray carburetor cleaner before applying the Loctite.

I've never owned a Ridgid saw, but I learned wood turning on a Ridgid lathe... it had a 3 inch pipe down the middle for the ways... in Houston I had a hellava time trying to keep that pipe from rusting. Lowest speed on it was 750 though... waaaaaaay too fast for learning to turn bowls... in my case even 450 is too fast..