bought a little wood today

ken werner

So here is my latest wood purchase, a small amount of unseasoned white oak. This is close to veneer grade, looks perfect from what I can see. It was a bit challenging to move it though, as it came in a single lot.

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4861.jpg

The log is 10 feet long, and was about 15" in diameter six feet from the thickest part. I bought it directly from a huge operation that was kind enough to sell me a single log.

This will become spindles and continuous arms for some Windsor chairs....I hope.

Brent, I'm glad you asked. First I cut off the 25" hanging off the end of the trailer. Then I tried to move the next 25". No deal. So I tied the log to a tree and pulled the vehicle forward. Cut off another 26" or so. That left a 6' piece in the trailer. Repeat process, pulled the 6' section off. It'll be the continuous arms.

Well, the goal is three more chairs. After that, don't know. But at 13 spindles per chair, each spindle 1 x 1" by 24" long, I'd say there is a heck of a lot. then the problem becomes working the wood green while it's still green. And I'm neither young nor strong. And on top of that, I get lazy, sooooo...

we'll see.

So Ken have you got to work the wood while its green? Does that mean you will chop/split it up with wedges or are you going to take the 25" sections ( I dont quiet know how) and get them up to resaw them on your bandsaw or use a chain saw?

You gotta show us this as you go through the process. i am totally fascinated.

I have a few much smaller diameter maple logs about 4-5 ft long that i have to resaw but need to build a bandsaw table extension first like Vaughns.

Great haul on the wood, you a brave man.:thumb: Call Larry for help.:D

Rob, i'll split the short sections with wedges, then move on to a froe. You want to split [rive] the sections not saw them, because they will follow the grain and retain greater strength. And yes, got to do it while the wood is green.

Well, the goal is three more chairs. After that, don't know. But at 13 spindles per chair, each spindle 1 x 1" by 24" long, I'd say there is a heck of a lot. then the problem becomes working the wood green while it's still green. And I'm neither young nor strong. And on top of that, I get lazy, sooooo...

we'll see.

Yes, there is definitely a technique involved in working green oak. For some uses green was preferred.
Just the mention of a froe made my back and shoulders sore again. I worked one summer at a historical site and often gave shingle making demos using a froe. Not the hardest work possible but the repetition was a killer. Green oak was the preferred wood for shingles. They would curl up and look sumptin' terrible for about a year then flatten down and be a good roof until the moss ate up the wood.
BTW, around here an oak log like that would be called firewood, I've given away and split many.
But, for furniture oak is beautiful. Great haul. :thumb:

Nice haul Ken, and if it is veneer quality it is not fire wood :thumb:

I think I saw a bit in a magazine where one of the chair builder guys (Brian Boggs?) or someone else, had a really large water tank just outside his shop door, that he kept the riven wood pieces in, so they would not dry out, that might be something that you should look at, as I doubt that even you can use all of that up quickly enough :D :wave:

Look forward to some more pics of the process......... hint hing......

:lurk:

Rob's link shows some of the techniques. I went around my woods today and found a suitable dead tree with a good fork for the riving brake. Cut it down, hauled it back and here it is.

brake.jpg

then I made a very rough club to drive the froe and gluts. [Glut is a big wooden wedge for splitting a log] This thing is heavy, should be good at causing tendonitis, and maybe at splitting wood.

club.jpg

nice mallet Ken, how are things down at the quarry? say hello to fred and barney.
im super impressed and even more impressed you were able to drag that bad boy back home.....white oak .......man thats a heavy log.
Looking forward to seeing you break it all down into usuable lumber.

wish you would have contacted me, I would have been more than happy to give you some 3 inch white oak for some sharpening skills.

Last edited: