Flag Case build

Anybody have a flag case plan? I need to build one. Friends father just past. Do I finish out the inside or leave natural? Hearing different opinions on this. I have never been in his parents house, so what wood should I use? I know bunch of questions.

I tried the search, but my search fu is weak.

I've got my dads and it's made of Maple. I've seen em made of walnut. yes the inside should be finished.
attachment.php

Here a quick sketchup dwg. It's 23 x 18x18 and 3" deep. 3/4" material.

Attachments

• Flag case.jpg
    Flag case.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 113
Anybody have a flag case plan? I need to build one. Friends father just past. Do I finish out the inside or leave natural? Hearing different opinions on this. I have never been in his parents house, so what wood should I use? I know bunch of questions.

I tried the search, but my search fu is weak.

Steve don't have a plain ether,but here's the one the national gaurd gave us for our son. I can take some measurements if ya want.

Attachments

• 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 38
I made this one of Padouk. If you want the exact dimensions, let me know and I'll look for my original sketch. I sprayed the flag case both inside and outside. I did it that way 'just because'. Generally, the flag fits in there snug, but not tight and all possible chances of seeing the inside of the case are pretty remote.

Tony B

Attachments

• Photo 9.JPG
    Photo 9.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 34
Heres one I made for my dads flag and some mementos. I'm still not finished putting stuff inside:( The wood is curly maple.

Attachments

• shadow box touch up (Medium).jpg
    shadow box touch up (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 29
Flag case build

I didn't start the post,but would like to say thanks for those plans.I am going to make one for the misses late husbands flag that I am giving to her son.

For those of you who have a flag case - How do you put the flag in (or take it out)? My guess is that you use a rabbet in the back and attach the back with small screws (or something) that allows you to take the back off. Is that correct?

Or is there some better "slick" way?

Mike

I made this one for the flag my son sent me from Iraq.

I made it from oak but I didn't consider the grain on the edges. You can't really see it in the picture but the way the grain runs it makes the case look lopsided, out of square even though it's not. Another lesson learned :rolleyes:
The back is rabbeted about 1/2" has a 1/8" matte board and a 1/4" plywood backing. The back is attached with 2 brass screws on the top and bottom and 3 on each side.

P4290353 (600 x 450) flag case.jpg

Steve you might want to check before you get started, on whether your friends Dad had any medals or other memorabillia that would be appropriate to put together with the flag.

I like Johns and Bobs because they add more info about the person other than just the flag. This is not always possible i realise but when it is, its a nice bonus.