I had to have 16 of them ready for use tomorrow.:thumb:

Attachments

• tn_bone 001.JPG
    tn_bone 001.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 123
  • tn_bone 002.JPG
    tn_bone 002.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 104
not sure of the exact name, but they are used to help tension lines you use to secure your tent to the stakes. the line goes from the tent, in one hole in the block, out the other hole, and knotted. the loop goes around your tent stake, and the slack is taken up. it stays in place through friction. :thumb:

not sure of the exact name, but they are used to help tension lines you use to secure your tent to the stakes. the line goes from the tent, in one hole in the block, out the other hole, and knotted. the loop goes around your tent stake, and the slack is taken up. it stays in place through friction. :thumb:

I think that you're right Dan:thumb:

Your right :thumb: We call them dog bones I'm sure they have a proper name like rope stays. But I don't know what it is:rofl::rofl:
Frank F can ya help us out on that.:thumb:

Boy Chuck thats a pretty fancy rope tensioner. All neatly trimmed and finished.:thumb: You aint gonna make money that way.:D What happened to plain ole drill two holes and there you have it? Now its fancy red oak and precision drilling with routered edges and varnish. Wow:eek: but i like your standards Chuck.:D:thumb:

Well I ran out of the 2.5" rings. I have enough 2" rings to finish but decided to wait till this weekend and get more of the 2.5" ones so they are all the same.
First pic is the start of back splicing the end'
Second pic is the first one all done.
Third is a pic of the eye splice I put in the end that goes over the tent poll spike.
The 2.5" ring goes over the tent stake. I put the ring on to keep the rope from rubbing on the square edges of the tent stake

Attachments

• tn_mug27 001.JPG
    tn_mug27 001.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_mug27 002.JPG
    tn_mug27 002.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_mug27 003.JPG
    tn_mug27 003.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Chuck, my Dad would be so proud of you. Hes an old sailor. He has been trying to teach me knots all my life. Splicing like that was high on his list. I refered him to the diesel powered motors on a ship nowadays.:rofl::rofl:

He used to also do great bell ropes with fancy knots in the end to hold the bell rope.

If i can find one around i will send it to you minus the bell of course.

One of the best things we did when we got our boat was to take a 'Boating Safety' course. One of the nights concentrated on 'Marlinspike' skills.

Learning how to splice ropes and make good solid knots is a skill that comes in handy from time to time.

You'll never walk down a dock the same way again. You'll look at how each boat is tied up and make judgements about the skills of the person who tied up the boat...

Here's the Holy Grail of Knot Tying, Wouldn't trade it for a Saw-Stop! :eek: :thumb:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ashleys.01.jpg
    Ashleys.01.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Ashleys.02.jpg
    Ashleys.02.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 47
Thats correct Chuck, The rest are either lines or sheets and who's job is it to polish the ships bell ?

Bosun's Mate I think:thumb:
I don't know Don the bell is the keeper of the watch's tool. (Not sure of the title for this) But I don't know if he is the one to polish it or not. Or if that would fall as deck duties.

Last edited:
Thats correct Chuck, The rest are either lines or sheets and who's job is it to polish the ships bell ?

Bosun's Mate I think:thumb:

Nope the cook but thats what i would have guessed to. There an old book if you can find it called "Flatsom, Jetson and Lagen" just filled with information about the old sailing ships on the east coast and the great lakes.