Your go to wood

Been doing something in the last couple days, I know that's dangerous.

When you make a project for a person or to sale. What is your go to, never fail wood to use. The type that would go with any decor?? Something that would blend in with any trim and furniture type. Fit in to that home you have never been in.

Been doing something in the last couple days, I know that's dangerous.

When you make a project for a person or to sale. What is your go to, never fail wood to use. The type that would go with any decor?? Something that would blend in with any trim and furniture type. Fit in to that home you have never been in.
mine and i know everyone will have a different choise is ash.

what ever they want,, but cherry is friendly and in our parts oak is old hat. but have alot of variety to choose from maple is one that most like in our area..clean looking and can have some striking figure. but there area lot of folks out there that are looking for figure:huh::huh:

My preferred is Walnut. Sorry Don... Walnut seems to go with everything. Second is Cherry, Dislike (but still use) Pine, Oak & Ash.

Cherry and maple are probably my two favorites for flatwork, although I've done relatively little in the way of substantial pieces with either. For turning, free wood is one of my favorites, and figured wood is also up there on the list. Free wood with nice figure? It don't get much better than that. :D

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Poplar. Easy to work with, relatively hard, and takes finishes well. It can be easily stained to mimic several other woods, and it takes paint beautifully.

That said, I do use a fair amount of red oak (cheap and solid) and also walnut, cherry, and maple (both hard and soft).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Poplar. Easy to work with, relatively hard, and takes finishes well. It can be easily stained to mimic several other woods, and it takes paint beautifully.

How about the green tint in Poplar? Can that be stained or should you avoid that part of the wood? I've got a bunch of poplar I could use for window trim and such.

Thanks for any help you can provide!