Your go to wood

When I put the oak floor in the beauty shop I used popular trim and stained with minwax golden oak. You can tell some difference but not much.

Now why did I use pop and not oak you ask? The floor gets mopped all the time and it is cheaper to change out when needed.

The more I work for people the more I realize there ain't no such thing as a standard. For my personal stuff it would be oak or walnut, but for the customer it's all over the charts.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Poplar. Easy to work with, relatively hard, and takes finishes well. It can be easily stained to mimic several other woods, and it takes paint beautifully.

That said, I do use a fair amount of red oak (cheap and solid) and also walnut, cherry, and maple (both hard and soft).

IMHO I have always considered Poplar as a secondary wood or paintable wood which might as well be MDF as when you paint the "Wood" aspect is lost to the pigment. IMHO

"Go to wood" is, in my opinion "what woods would you rather use to build projects?"