New Organ Build Topsy 3

Glad to hear from you Jay. I had heard you have been very busy. I think we would all like to see your finished organ. Mine is getting closer to the end, with all pipes built and all small thing done. I'm just trying to finish my drive system and then case it up. I will add some pictures latter.

Bob

Hi, I am new here and new to organ building. I just got the plans for the Topsy 3 and already got answers to some of my questions but I have another. Can the speed of the song be adjusted on a midi organ? I know on the senior 20 and busker, the motor is actually driving the music take up spool and would directly effect the song speed. On a midi organ though, the motor is just driving the bellows for the most part right?

It also has me wondering about hand cranking. If you hand crank a music roll organ and stop halfway through, the song would also stop playing. If you hand crank a midi controlled organ and stop half way through, would the song stop where you left off or would it just pick back up wherever in the song it is once air is put back in the bellows and sent to the pipes?

Thanks,
David

Hi David, first welcome to the forum.
I have built the Senior 20 organ which uses paper rolled music. I also just completed a 31 note MIDI controlled organ. The paper rolled organs you do indeed control the tempo by how fast you turn the crank. The tune can play as fast or as slow as you like as long as your turning fast enough to produce enough air to all the pipes. However on a MIDI controlled organ the tempo is set by the midi file. All your really doing on a Midi organ is pumping the air to the pipes, so the speed at which you crank is not a factor as long as you are turning fast enough to provide enough air to all the pipes. Also the midi file will continue to "play" if you stop cranking. You can hear the valves opening and closing but since there is no air being produced then no sound will go through to the pipes. So if you stop cranking you must shut off or "pause" the midi file until you decide to start cranking again.
Hope this helps. Looking forward to watching your progress as you build. Take lots of photos...we like photos.

With the MIDI ReadeR you can speed up or slow down the tempo and you can stop and start the tune with the pause it will start from where you stopped at. It doesn't mater how fast or slow or which direction you turn the crank but like Tom said if you just stop turning the crank without hitting pause it will continue to run the pallet magnets as if playing the song just no sound when the air runs out

Glad to see you joined up David :wave:

Its been a year and here is my almost finished Topsy 3. See it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/DlTuaE4hmFE

I see you have a nice looking control panel. That I think is the part I still have the least understanding about. Do the switches just turn on and off different sections of the organ? I wish I could find a video that explains and shows what turning each of the switches on and off actually does. I keep re reading the schematics and they are starting to make a little more sense, it would just be nice to physically see how they are supposed to function.

Thank you Jay. I couldn't see why the extra wood lip is there. I did purchase the Klinger boards, the only thing is they are vey long but I did get them installed.

Im glad you posted a picture of this acc chest, that helped me answer a few questions. I am just wondering now, is the rest of the box (back, sides, and top) screwed/ glued together to form one removable piece? Or is it the back that just unscrews to gain access to the valves. The reason I ask is because i dont yet have a grasp on much effort it takes to make the box "air tight." is there any kind of gasket material used or is it just wood to wood seal?acc wind chest.JPG

Hi David
Yes the switches turn on and off certain pips and one switches between the Block and Snare Drum . I can also turn the Bass drum on and off. The rest are to turn on power to the organ and one to turn on power to the drive motor.
Bob

Hi David, This is my acc. windchest. My top and sides unscrew off to access the valves. The bottom is glued to the back. I used narrow thin weather striping to seal the chest. If you need more picture or info contact me.
Bob

Harold - Hang in there, it will be worth the effort when completed.
How far have you got on the build? Post some pictures.

Looking forward to seeing more on your build

ed