White Oak burl on driftwood

Mark Cothren

I recently got some white oak burl from a man in Kentucky who is a friend of my brother-in-law. I turned this little hollow form and am sending it to him as a "thanks". I have it perched on this piece of driftwood now, but to be honest I'm not real crazy about the combination. My wife, however, seems to love it. So I guess it stays. I still have to tweak the pedestal a bit. I took a wire brush to the driftwood to clean it up, then torched it a bit to add some color. All comments/critiques/suggestions/etc welcomed.

The hollow form is about 6" wide and about 3.5" tall.

WhiteOakBurl01.jpg

WhiteOakBurl02.jpg

i love the oak burl. one day im going to have to get a lathe..........
(mho) i think you are right about the driftwood it fights with the oak.

Personally, I like the way the driftwood and turning work together.

Its neat to see the organic driftwood composed with the turned form. And the turned form has a lot of pockets in it.

To my eye, it works... I can't see one without the other.:thumb:

Love the HF, wow, that is a beauty, dunno about the driftwood combo, it seems to overpower the HF, IMHO, I'd like to see a pic of the HF by itself for comparison.

Very nice work indeed Mark, thanks for sharing it :thumb:

I like the hollow form and I like the combo.

Just for the sake of experimentation, I tried moving the HF a bit...

WhiteOakBurl01 Mark CothrenT.jpg

Dunno if it's any better, but I thought I'd toss it out there as food for thought.

FWIW, lower might be better but Vaughn also moved it to the left, more in the "dip." Leave it higher, as though 'tossed' on the wave of the driftwood. The little 'post' it sits on in the original is distracting. Hide that and you have a better winner. But don't nestle it.

Just sayin'....

I like it with the two together but also feel might would be better without that post thingy holding it up. Something more on the lines of Vaughns suggestion. Even so it is great as is

pete