I need a shed.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Only constraint is that it has to be 120 square feet (No permit or inspections needed for a shed this size).

I want something to store garden equipment, and I could probaby move some 'stuff' from the shop to the shed for storage.k

Anybody have any suggestions?

I.e. build from plans, kits, maybe a metal shed?

Best 'shape'?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Brent,

It's pretty easy to build a 10x12 shed. And I bet you'll feel the same way when you see the price of a prefab one... ;)

2x4s, plywood, a few trusses, and you're up! ;)

Can you do a concrete slab without a permit? Or would you have to set posts, and build from those? In your area, I think I'd do concrete, even if I had to mix it in a wheelbarrow, just to keep the critters out. Critters draw rattlers... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

The rules just say 120 sq ft or less, no permit. So a slab is definitely doable.

I was leery of putting it up on concrete piers, just for that very reason. It would give the critters room to congregate underneath.

Very good suggestion.

build two, one wont be enough and if its under the 120 sq ft mark you might squeak threw the paper work.. or just pay the permit and do it right on the size you really need:thumb:

3x5, 6x8,10x12, its all the same type of construction.
I put together a 3x5 shed in a day and a half simply by looking inside the 6x10 shed I had purchased a few years earlier from a shed builder.
I did the same exact thing, except I had to figure out the slant on the smaller roof. the onlly thing I changed was the door.
its really simple.

build two, one wont be enough and if its under the 120 sq ft mark you might squeak threw the paper work.. or just pay the permit and do it right on the size you really need:thumb:

What I really need is a standalone shop! But that's not quite in the budget.

I just really need something to store the garden equipment right now. Tractor and stuff. Need to clear off the back patio. 10x12 ought to work out pretty well for that... IT'd be nice to build a second one just for wood storage, that's for sure...

You DO have a nice slab there just sittin', waiting for a roof:D:D:D that's half the battle:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

True, I've thought about it, but not sure it would pass code. It's a pretty thin slab. It looks like they might have though about putting a house or something on it at one point, but I can't figure out why they made the slab so thin with no footings on the side.

Hey Brent i cannot believe you gotta have permits out there in the desert. Is there no getting away from control. Who you going to endanger or upset. Your nearest neighbors can hardly make out your house. :dunno:

Here was my solution.

Saved one side and built it long and narrow that way can get lots of wall space for hanging garden furniture and store bikes and lawnmower in there in winter.
shed 3.jpgShed nearly complete1.jpgShed with doors open2.jpg

Built from my head. No plans. Within code here even for the fussy town. Shingles on the roof. Concrete slope so used deck blocks and built them up.

Pressure treated frame clad with some sort of barn board and corners trimmed out with cedar and construction adhesive with screws from inside so no rusting nails or screws outside.

Works like a charm.:thumb: I call it my Canadian Barn, since i dont have a red barn. Closest i could come to one at present. :rofl:

I was tempted to buy a metal shed but with the snow loads up here I figured after a good storm all my yard tools would be under a crumpled pile of metal and snow:eek:

I built a gambrel (barn style) 8 x10 and it's big enough to hole the lawn tractor, snow blower, and all the other tools with room to spare. I did use pre-fab roof trusses. My floor sits on concrete blocks but I used treated lumber for the floor.

When I had students building yard barns, we built them using the gambrel style roof. The side wall heights were 4' (so a sheet of T1-11 was used entirely) and the bottom of the roof trusses were a 2X6 cut diagonal, the angled edge of the roof where it met the wall provided a nice shelf the length of the building.

heres an idea to toss around

go to a used trucking company.

I know people who have done this.

Purchase an old trailer part of a tractor/trailer that is no longer in service.
Go on a rainy day so you can check out the roof.
some of these guys will sell you a 30 footer for 150 bucks to get it off their property, and maybe 100 bucks to deliver it and park it.
Remove the wheels, spray paint your favorite color, maybe do a little repair on the roof if you have too, but youll have an 8x30 foot storage for 300 bucks.
I also have a buddy who purchased a construction site office trailer.
He wanted an area away from the house to do his artwork. He took out half the roof, put in a skylight, and this thing had a bathroom and all the wiring in it. I think he paid 600 dollars for it used. He made it his art studio.