I need a shed.

Stu, I'm no Allen!

Heck we're still debating style and location for a 10x12 shed.... :rofl:

I might get started in sketchup on sunday!

You're fortunate to have reasonable permit regulations. My town not only requires a $40 permit and inspection of 10 x 10 shed, but I also needed to pay $10 for permission to take the old one down! :bang: ...I literally thought he was joking, and kept waiting for him to crack a smile. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

I found out things about local villages and things like sheds and pools.
dont know if its true, but I heard that now the local municipalities use google earth and similar and look at each home to see if theres a pool without a permit, or a shed, or patio, etc.......everything on long island needs a permit and everything has its limitations.
largest shed is 8x10, and it has to fall a bit under 8 feet tall.

Yeah, what's odd is I live way out in the county. Yeah, I understand the need for permits and such, but it seems a little overboard for where I live...

I think I at least picked out a spot today and will spend some time on Sketchup putting together a plan...

Only constraint is that it has to be 120 square feet (No permit or inspections needed for a shed this size).

I want something to store garden equipment, and I could probaby move some 'stuff' from the shop to the shed for storage.k

Anybody have any suggestions?

I.e. build from plans, kits, maybe a metal shed?

Best 'shape'?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Yes we have the same requirements here but we can make it 1,2,or maybe 3 stories check & see if you can do the same.
Patio furniture up stairs comes to mind.

At least a Gambrel roof barn style.

Last edited:
Stu, I'm no Allen!

Heck we're still debating style and location for a 10x12 shed.... :rofl:

I might get started in sketchup on sunday!

What are ya wasting time drawing for get out there and build.:thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh one other thing is if your going with something small like 10 X 12 I would suggest building it with a floor and skids under it. That way when you decide that you don't like it in that spot any more you can just hook up the truck and move it over there.:thumb:

Last edited:
...Oh one other thing is if your going with something small like 10 X 12 I would suggest building it with a floor and skids under it. That way when you decide that you don't like it in that spot any more you can just hook up the truck and move it over there.:thumb:

That might be a VERY good idea. In my area, if it's mounted on skids, and is under 10 X 20, it's considered a temporary structure, and DOESN'T REQUIRE A PERMIT.

You might check to see if you have similar latitudes.

Treated 4 X 6's make good skids. Chamfer the ends just in case you do want to move the structure...

I'm thinking of an 8x15 structure. Since will be mainly for storage, I don't need so much room in the middle, want more wall space.

Skids are a very good idea. The only restrictions we have is that it has to be under 120 square feet, otherwise it needs a permit... So I'll play by the rules...

Hmmm, I wonder if I attach wheels to it if I could call it a trailer? :D :rofl:

I'm thinking of an 8x15 structure. Since will be mainly for storage, I don't need so much room in the middle, want more wall space.

Skids are a very good idea. The only restrictions we have is that it has to be under 120 square feet, otherwise it needs a permit... So I'll play by the rules...

...Or make two 10 X 12's and separate them by an inch. Put foam insulation in that inch, and have a 10 X 24 or a 12 X 20.:D

Thwarting the civil authorities out of permit money can prove to be rather expensive.

Check your fire insurance policy. Are un-permitted structures and their contents covered? Do you want them to be? :rolleyes: :(

Since my brother's house burned down completely last month, we are learning all sorts of things. :eek::huh: And if you feel like you got caught in a gotcha between the building department and the insurances companies, you would be correct! :doh:

There is another issue that has come up. My county and state are strapped for money. They use Google maps and street views to spot new construction, or at least newer that the last time they looked. Now you have a fine and a permit to pay at the least. And I understand my part of the country is not the only place that goes on.

One can complain about the freedoms being lost, or one can comply and move on. I don't like it either. So I do what I can to stay on the good side of the building department and inspector. Living in the forest, fire insurance companies don't HAVE to insure you. And if your property has been determined to be uninsurable, good luck selling it.

Just sayin', guys.... be informed all the way around. :type: :thumb:

No worries Carol, we have been following the rules for the permits.

This is all about just a little shed to store the lawn tools...

Structures under 120 are fine, and I won't be storing my vast hoard of fine art in it :thumb:

Good advice though. That's why when we remodeled the fireplace, we got all applicable permits and had it inspected... :thumb: