Shop Size

The people working out of one or two car garages, having egress right there, on the same level as you are working is such a nice thing........

TRUST me on that one :rolleyes: :D

Someday I can just see you picking up and moving back to Kelowna and plopping yourself down on something with at least a half acre and THEN we'd see a shop build thread. :wave:

(though my ideal hobby shop would still be a basement shop, but I'd prefer a walkout basement, with 8' ceilings, and a dedicated set of stairs from the garage straight down to the shop. I genuinely like having a basement shop.)

We partitioned off 29x14 of the original horse stable for a heated area in the old barn, but should have gone the whole 48' length. But the main, unheated central part of the barn is very comfortable about 9 months of the year, an additional 1100 sq ft. Ceiling height is, essentially, higher than any piece of lumber you'd care to swing :D Lumber storage is one level up, in the hayloft.
Trouble is, stuff expands (a la George Carlin :) and I can hardly walk through right now.

Well seeing the general sizes of shops, I kind of proved my point to myself. Right now I have a 12x28 with an "L" 11x5. So that gives me 391 sq ft to work with. Now it is full as full can get. I still think one can get a shop to big and it just becomes a cluttered mess. To each his own. And if I do build, 24x30.

Well seeing the general sizes of shops, I kind of proved my point to myself. Right now I have a 12x28 with an "L" 11x5. So that gives me 391 sq ft to work with. Now it is full as full can get. I still think one can get a shop to big and it just becomes a cluttered mess. To each his own. And if I do build, 24x30.

Oh Steve i am sure with some thought, organization and motivation you can get more in. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My shop is ~20'x40'. About 10'x20' is in front of a garage door so its kinda wasted space. Another 10'x20' is for metal working. I would easily build it 2 times larger if I had the chance. It has a 8' ceiling which I would rather have much higher so I could have a loft and overhead storage. Most likely none of this will ever happen, buts its nice to dream. The dust collection and wood storage is in another room so thats nice. I like to have all the tools set up in a manner so I don't have move things, for me I do better work if I have things spread out, and can go from machine to machine without moving tools around. If I have to move tools around to use them I tend not to use them and cut corners and in turn the quality goes down.

New shop will be 48x96, or 4465 sq/ft. I know it'll be too small in a matter of months, the hope is to move the offices/showroom to an addition to free up some space within the shop walls, then add another 10k sq/ft after that. I'm not sure if thats a five year, or ten year plan.

Current shop is ~40x40, its like working in a phone booth. Packing two tablesaws, clamp rack, faceframe table, edgesander, Castle machine, jointer, planer, widebelt, dovetailer, linebore, three shapers, and a partridge in pear tree, doesn't leave much room for staging.

Slightly different scenario, I know.

Right now there is at least 5 shapers close to me, plus a couple of tablesaws that I would buy if I had somewhere to put them.