What Brown Brought Me

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Brown came by my house Monday. Figured some of you might appreciate this...

What showed up:

Sig P266 22 LR Conversion Kit.jpg

And the results...my old Sig Sauer P226 9mm. (Like the Thompson bowl gouge as a prop?):

Sig P266 9mm.jpg

My new Sig Sauer P226 .22LR:

Sig P266 22LR.jpg

And the whole kit...two barrel/slide assemblies, and two clips. I can switch between 9mm and .22 LR in about 10 seconds. I'm still finding 9mm ammo pretty scarce and expensive out here, but I can get .22 LR more easily. Haven't done much of any shooting in the past few years, but I see more range time in my future.

[Sig P266 Full Kit.jpg

Last week when I was in Albuquerque visiting my family and celebrating my dad's 80th birthday, my dad and I were talking guns and in passing, I mentioned the .22 LR conversion kit for my Sig. He said "I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I want you to go get on the computer right now and order one...I'm buying." Turns out he'd already tried to buy one for me from his local gun dealer, but he didn't have it in stock. He told me in the past few months he'd given other family members some of his extra handguns, and he figured it was time I got a new gun, too. It was his birthday, but I got the present. :D

One of my favorite kinds of shooting years ago was "garbage shooting"...cans, charcoal briquettes, anything than moved or blew up when hit. Unfortunately, where I live now, garbage shooting is pretty much out of the question. There used to be one or two places set aside for it in the nearby National Forest, but they closed them to shooting years ago due to all the idiots who were lacking in self discipline and common courtesy. Unless I drive quite a ways out to the desert, shooting holes in paper is my only option. There's a nice indoor range not too far from my house, and I used to spend some time there staying in practice before ammo got expensive and harder to find out here. Now I can get the practice, using the same gun (less kick, but the same action and trigger) for a lot less money in ammo. Then when it comes back home, the Sig goes back to being a 9mm with hollowpoints. ;)

There are similar aftermarket .22 LR conversion kits for several other pistols. The kits for the M1911 .45 ACP is pretty popular from what I've read. One thing I like about mine is that it's made by the manufacturer of the pistol, an it comes with a lifetime warranty comparable to the pistol itself.

That's pretty cool Vaughn. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Fortunately for me, still plenty of places close by to do a little 'garbage' shooting....

I've got a couple of Ruger 10/22 rifles I've rigged up with AR style stocks. Lots cheaper to shoot and practice with .22lr than .223...

Good move Vaughn. Yes, ammo, even hand rolled, is expensive these days. And, I believe, a gun is worthless if not used. And using is good training. If you can't enjoy it and use properly, there is no point in owning.
Good choice on the brand as well. You deserve a big: :thumb:

Very nice. I didn't know manufacturers were making conversion kits until recently. I had bought my Phoenix HP22 for that reason, much cheaper to plink with.

I did get a good deal on some white box 9mm's lately at Wally world, got them $23 for 100 rounds, bought 5 boxes. That was on the Kansas side of town, I can usually buy them $9 for 50, but my local Wally world was out. Also picked up 500 rounds of .22 for $25 at the local Cabelas.

I bought my wife a new gun recently so she could go to the range with me, we went Monday night. It was her first time shooting a gun, which she enjoyed once she understood the sights.

Attachments

• pinkgun.JPG
    pinkgun.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 18
Never ceases to amaze me you guys and your guns. :) For most of you one aint enough either. But i can see how i would easily fall into the same groove. Heck it would compete with woodworking toys.

Now someone tell me you guys were not influenced by all those Cowboy movies we were exposed to when young.

I bet you all had holsters and a gun or two with hat when you were 6 or 7 Eh?

And to think all these years i have been living with the thought i was the only nutty guy influenced by the wild west.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah go ahead and tell me it has something to with your constitutional right.

I wont believe you. You just a cowboy at heart like me.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And Frank you just pretending to be Davy Crocket. Man i still want one of those hats.

Do we ever grow up??? I hope not.:D:thumb::thumb: Heck i still dont have my wifes permission to wear my stetson in public. Imagine if i had guns????:eek:

If i had a choice though, i want a modern Gatling gun. Something like was used on the Wild Weasel in Nam. Day i start using it for real i want so much lead in front of me its like a wall.

Just think what a difference the Gatling Gun made to the balance of power in the west.:)

Awe heck i am just green with envy.

Now someone tell me you guys were not influenced by all those Cowboy movies we were exposed to when young.

I walked into my mothers office one day to ask a question, and there was a junkie dusted out holding a small handgun in my mothers ear.
I decided that day I wanted to have a gun for self defense reasons.
That was also the last time my mother and stepdad ever did a cash payroll.

Rob, you are right. I started with the toy six guns, holsters and hat. But, many of us were more influenced by gangster movies than the westerns. At a very early age, in the basement of the house in Chicago where I started out, I built zip guns. :eek: These were cobbled together things from the junk pile. Barrels were often hunks of pipe, actions were powered by rubber bands or springs, ignition was paper caps or strike anywhere match heads, propellant powder was made from chemistry sets that would never be sold today, projectiles were ball bearings, marbles or whatever. I would shoot rats or bottles in vacant buildings or around the alley with them. They worked. Gun control? If a seven year old can build something that will kill from ten feet away, who is going to control grown ups with real skills?
I later 'graduated' to a BB gun, then at age 12 a .22 LR rifle old single shot I bought at an antique shop for $3.00. Recently gave that to my daughter. The next was a .22 bolt action rifle. That was recently given to my son.
BTW, you have lots of furry things up yer way. To get hat like that you gotta kill it first.
BTW, in the U.S., it is legal to have working a replica, smaller scale, Gatling gun in .22 rimfire calibers. They are available but expensive. I think plans can be purchased also.