Getting rid of router bit burn - Scraped clean

one thing is for sure you wont make this mistake again in avery long time you seem to learn fast as you take the medicine for hurrying to much:) been there done that:)

Oh boy i can relate to this one. I had more than my fair share of medicine in this regard. Somehow the wild buck in me aint getting the message.:D

Carol thanks for the tips on useing the loupe for seeing the edge on router bits.:thumb: Can you advise on which bits you have found most worthwhile?

she showed us a lot of orange bits:) rob, but freud, the red ones are good as are whiteside and many others. tod says buy cheap ones as they are throw away tools and keep them till dull and replace. carol has some of those too.. she alot of tools in that condensed shop of hers..:)

I'm sorry I'm at work and don't have the time to read all responses so if this is a repeat, disregard. I have used that jig and had the experience. The ultimate cure is the feed rate but that is no help once you've got burns. I shifted the jig to allow a skinny 1/32" pass and re-ran the router with close attention to consistent feed rate. HTH.

P.s. An old piece of hacksaw or Sawzall blade filed to shape as a custom scraper works too ;-)

Which bits I find most worthwhile? I take that not to mean brands, as for the most part there is not much difference for hobbyist use.

Yes, Larry, many are orange but that is not a requirement. And yes, I have a ton of them. Being the Router Lady had its perks. :rolleyes: But it also taught me a bunch about what it is that is really helpful to have on hand.

To Rob's question: best for whatever it is that I am doing. But I would not be without a chamfer bit, a round over bit, a very short 1/2" mortising bit, a 1/2" trim bit, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" 2 flute right hand twist end mills, and a rabbeting set. Those are the most useful to me. Your list may well be different.

My general philosophy is get the one I really want and don't look back. Also, no sets and no gimmicky bits. Both are expensive and useless.

And finally, when they get to the stage that I need to touch them up with a diamond card file to finish the job at hand, it is time to get a new one. They are consumable items, just like sandpaper.

Conversation goes like, "That's the last piece of wood you burn!" and clunk, into the garbage can. Life's too short.

Wood Bleach Oxalic acid... another is pure Hydrogen Per Oxide. Not the wimpy stuff from the drug store (although it might help) but the kind you can get from Salon Supply stores. (may need a licensed Hair Doer to buy it) Often plain ole Clorox can whiten... Wood is charred, burn't and Close to Charcoal... All you can hope for is to wear it away or reduce the color...

...I know enough not to look for sympathy here! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh Rennie, I'm so very, very sorry you feel this way. We're all veerrrry sympathetic. We may be laughing on the outside, but we're crying with you on the inside. Our hearts are just as torn up about the burning as yours is. The sympathy is palpable. Can't you feel it?

How about now?

Still no? Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Oh well...then never mind.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

apparently his camera got burnt too??? as often as he has givun us pictures of his wonderful work or even him layun on the bench pozing for some Indiana gal:) but now when we are thirsting for some new insight of how to correct a bad situation and the cure for it we get let down:( i think he has let us down and forgot what he was taught here on the normal right of passage:D:D:D:rofl:

apparently his camera got burnt too??? as often as he has givun us pictures of his wonderful work or even him layun on the bench pozing for some Indiana gal:) but now when we are thirsting for some new insight of how to correct a bad situation and the cure for it we get let down:( i think he has let us down and forgot what he was taught here on the normal right of passage:D:D:D:rofl:
See? No sympathy!:rofl::rofl:

I've been spending most of the past two days wearing my fingertips to the bones sanding out those indents. I'm about 2/3 done.:eek: I have some work to do at church today so I might not finish today either! However, pictures will come..... eventually.

Stop sanding!

Hey!

I just discovered a rare, one-of-a-kind book on the Greene & Greene style in our public library!

According to the book, burn marks in leg indents were a signature G & G feature! They used to put them in there deliberately with tiny little blow-torches! Seems they got the idea from the Chinese who did it with smoldering pointed bamboo sticks.

So I guess you're off the hook!

Hope I wasn't too late.

Hey!

I just discovered a rare, one-of-a-kind book on the Greene & Greene style in our public library!

According to the book, burn marks in leg indents were a signature G & G feature! They used to put them in there deliberately with tiny little blow-torches! Seems they got the idea from the Chinese who did it with smoldering pointed bamboo sticks.

So I guess you're off the hook!

Hope I wasn't too late.

OK - tell me you're pulling my leg. Right?:rolleyes:

Was able to remove the majority of the burn marks (sorry Brian) using the back of a 1/8" chisel as a scraper. There is a lot of hand sanding involved in these indents. The picture shows it about 80% done. Still need to do a little fine work to get the round over right. The dark spots you see at the base of the indent is the end grain as seen in the photo of the end of the leg.
1 (800 x 608).jpg2 (800 x 624).jpg3 (800 x 559).jpg

Nice save.
Glad I don't make misteaks like that. ;):rofl:
BTW, did I ever tell you about the cutting board I glued to the work bench? Didja know glue squeezes out on the bottom as well as the top when you clamp up? :(
Repeat. Nice save, carry on. :thumb:

well done rennie, and i would try the bleach trick on some burn scrap just for practice and see how it works. becasue you and i both know its gonna happen agin some day

Good save Rennie but just for info i happened to have cause to try out those little mops (i linked to), using my dremel imitation with a variable speed. They work fine and i am sure in a situ like this would not have done any indenting damage. They quiet soft. You should give them a try. I think they would have cleaned up for you in no time and left things intact.

Good save Rennie but just for info i happened to have cause to try out those little mops (i linked to), using my dremel imitation with a variable speed. They work fine and i am sure in a situ like this would not have done any indenting damage. They quiet soft. You should give them a try. I think they would have cleaned up for you in no time and left things intact.
Will keep them in mind, but I think the key is the variable speed.