My newest challenge

Mike Mathieu

Hi everyone
Just thought y'all might like to see the "before " pictures of my newest "challenge" project. It is a Hocking Valley corn sheller(circa 1900) that I have been commissioned to rebuild and make functional.I will be using quarter-sawn white oak for the wood. Should be a fun project.

Legs have been cut off but all of the mechanical parts are there.
HockingValleycornsheller001.jpg

HockingValleycornsheller002.jpg

Can't salvage any of the old wood due to rot and post beetles but enough left for accurate measurements
HockingValleycornsheller003.jpg

HockingValleycornsheller004.jpg

Will post progress pics

Very cool project indeed. I like how for such a piece of utilitarian farm machinery, there are some nice details in the pain on the old one, and the turned handles,etc...

Well, she's pretty well gone, wood-wise, but the mechanicals appear to all be there, and in relatively good shape.

These old machines were (are) relatively simple, and were built in an era when longevity was an expected feature. Some new wood, and it oughtta be good for another 150 years or so.

You might consider an electrolysis tub for rust removal.

Are you gonna re-do the stenciling and gold leaf, too?

Looks like a real fun project if you know what to do. Please keep us posted as you go along. I will be following along as you go.:thumb: You going to test it when you done? I would like to see how it works and get a comment from you on how much effort it is to use.