Finishes that are different

My old customer who has given me so much work asked me to gild this chair and antique. Slow work but awesome when it's done. So far I just have the lower front legs completed, but I got excited when I finished the front I had to show you all.

Attachments

• CIMG0028.JPG
    CIMG0028.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG0026.JPG
    CIMG0026.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 41
  • CIMG0027.JPG
    CIMG0027.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 41
Dave you gotta explain some to dummies like me. Whats all the pink???:dunno:

Then the back looks all shinny gold and yet the front after antiqueing has touches of pink on it???

Then in terms of process does the covering get done after the guilding?? How is it held on round the guilding edges ? staples :dunno: I am thinking that wood would be prone to splitting if staples are used for the upholstry or have i got it wrong.

Is that gold leaf that is applied by the brush ?? Is there a finish over the gold leaf to keep it from chipping ??
The pink looks like spray adhesive to me.
Really cool project Dave :thumb:

The pink color you see is actually a undercoat called the Bowl, after that the sizing {adhesive} gets applied which is similar to a varnish, then come the sheets of gold , 23K to be exact. It took 7 books with 25, 3 3/8"x3 3/8" sheets in a book to cover this chair.
For antiquing I use Ben Moore Alkaid Glaze a few drops of lamp black and turps, keep the mixture very lucid. I apply the glaze with the tips of a soft brush in a blotting motion then with a soft cotton cloth balled up I blot the glaze as the glaze sets up I then powder the glaze with a umber powder and as it sets with a dry dusting brush a couple minutes later I take a light gray powder and dust. The drying time of the glaze is the main player, as the glaze dries it will retain only so much powder.
After the project is finished I use a can of Mohawk lacquer finish for protection. The chair will be off to the upholster, Rob if the upholster split the wood they would not be working for customers who are willing to spend the kind of money on one chair.

When you say brushed on gold leaf ? paint, cream, paste ? I'm using gold.. the sheets are 150 thousands of and inch thick. SO delicate that a slight puff of air will totally screw up one sheet in a heart beat LOL
When applying the gold the over lapping edges are used to segue the dusting into cracks not covered by the sheet. I use a Dare Devil to collect the segueing and retain them in a box. I will use a brush to apply the segueing to the hard to get to places around the carvings.

Last edited:
just outa curiosty how much is a book of gold leaf these days? does it go up like the heavy stuff does? neat thread dave..i learned something today look out its gonna storm:rofl::thumb:

I buy my gold from a deal in Cal. Gold processed in China 500 leaves to a box which is 20 books of 25 leafs to a book sells for $490.00
Gold processed in Italy sells for $590.00 and from Germany $600.00
Based on 23K gold.