mountain lion

Some might remember my project of Tigger http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17851&highlight=tigger
I just had to try a realistic version so I carved a mountain lion, it's about 4 foot long and about 24" high. I know the snarl isn't accurate , but then I have never had a mountain lion snarl at me and I don't know if I would really want one too either. The colors could have been more realistic also. But here it is anyway, hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• IMG_1128+1.jpg
    IMG_1128+1.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0001+1.jpg
    IMG_0001+1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 84
that looks pretty sharp virgil, what kind of wood is it made out of? and as for the snarl well i am in the same boat,wouldnt want to be close enough to one snarling to get the right "mental picture":D:thumb::thumb:

Virgil that is way cool!!!!! I am envious!!!! I have this ability to always pick up a piece of wood and open my pocket knife and cut myself!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: I am always amazed at whittlers, carvers and such. I don't know about the snarl or the color, but I knew what it was and man that is so neat!!! Great job!! So, how long did it take to make??

Virgil, somehow I missed Tigger, man that is neat also!!!! Chainsaw?!! Talent my friend, pure unadulterated talent!!! The damage I do to myself trying to whittle with a pocket knife, don't think I will attempt the chainsaw art. (even though with a dull chain I do make good curves!!!). Very nice work, I am envious!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments, it started out as a pine log as well as tigger did. I am into regular woodworking more than this kind of art form but every once in awhile I have to break free and go for the gusto. Most of the professionals have thousands tied up into their saws, bars and chains. I can't do that. This was done with an oridinary chainsaw. I roughed it out with a large Dolmar then switched to a de limbing echo after that I went with more traditonal tools. It took 15 hours just woodburning the fur in. (boring) LOL then followed up with airbrush and transparent paints. Here is a shot of it in the carving and woodburning stage.

Attachments

• IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 35
Well Virgil, you just left me mouth open. Making a big carving is one of the things I want to do some day.
It is really impressive, and as far as the snarl is concerned I have no complaints about it, specially if you had to figure it out. If I had to do it, I would have to look for pictures in order to be able to get half as right as you did.:thumb:

BTW How long did it take you to carve it?

I want one, if you could add bigger teeth [2] it would be a sabre-tooth lion

Amazing, the talent we have here just keeps on amazing me. Tom said it i think there would be some pretty dirty shorts if one came across this boy in the yard in the evening.:D:rofl:

Well done :thumb:

LOL, a friend stopped over and stepped into our enclosed porch at twilight. It just so happened I had it sitting in there on the floor, yep, thought he was gonna have a heart attack. As for how long it took, never really kept track, I would have to say maybe 3-4 hours to rough it out and trim it with the chainsaws, couple weekends to carve in the details, mostly with a foredom tool and then sand smooth for the woodburning. The teeth was a lot longer and it did look like a sabertooth so I did shorten them.