Plywood Edgebanding

I'm going to be throwing together a bunch of plywood cabinets soon and I'd like to edge band them. Two questions:

Does anyone have a good source for edgebanding? The closest WW store to me is 45 minutes away so I'll probably order some online. I'm assuming I won't find this at the borgs but maybe I'm wrong.

What is the quickest/easiest way to trim the edges? I'm not opposed to spending a few bucks on a tool that will help me get it done quickly. Jig ideas will be considered as well. Would this be a good excuse to get a Bosch Colt?

I have found Birch edge banding at the Borg and even local Hardware stores. Just used some last night on the last of the shelves. I just take my knife (a razor knife would be better) trim the excess and then a block plane to finish it up.

Hey Rob,
You might check out HD, some stores do carry edgebanding, but not lots of variety of species. There is a tool you can buy for about $10 that will trim the edges. A colt would work fine, but you will need to provide some support to keep it level.

Jesse,
What tool would that be? Are we speaking of the iron on banding?
I am about to do pretty much the same. Bunches of open shelves in the new shop. I haven't used banding either. I was thinking of just using oak strips for trim off of some pallet wood I have around. If the banding will really work ok, I would use it in quite a few applications.
Thank you

Don

I've used Fastedge in the past. Apply it with a hard roller, no heat. Got it from McFeeley's. Get the trimmer - it's worth it. It works with various stock thickness and trims both sides at once.

Mike

Attachments

• fastcaptrimmer.jpg
    fastcaptrimmer.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 9
The stick on banding or the hot melt banding works fine, and the tool is a really good spend, IMHO, but this stuff is fairly fragile, and the glue does eventually give out, then a bump and it all comes off.

For stuff around the house, that does not take any abuse, I'm thinking a shelf with towels on it or such, it is fine, but for the workshop........?

I'd rip off some 1/4" thick strips of wood and glue and nail them, they will take a lot of abuse and still be there.

Just my 2 yen's worth :wave:

Hi Gentlemen,
In some respects living in or near a large city has it's advantages. Resources must be considered an advantage. Edgebanding here in houston can be found in many different places, at the plastic laminate supplier, Louis and company, builder hardware, lumber yards, etc. I have seen it in birch, walnut, ash, red oak, well you get the point. I got some red oak in 1 1/2 amd 2" rolls a while back. For me the 250' roll,which is about 12" in diameter is a good buy, at 13/16". I believe it was between 30 and 50 bucks.There is also a nice item just discovered which has more of a paper face. Seems like no no not for me, but it adheres well, iron on, paint works on it extremely well, sticks very well. I always use the iron on, never iron my clothes just my edges:rofl: . The tool, worth the price, trims clean, smoothe with sand paper. I sometime use the 1/4" method which has it's place too. You decide, just make sure with the banding you melt the glue on the underside and press it down while it is still warm/hot. Check to see if it is secure on each edge before you turn off the iron:D . Happy ironing, don't let your wife know what you are doing...
Good luck,
Shaz

Last edited:
There is a tool for ripping 1/4" wide strips of wood, the thickness of the edge of plywood, and then glue and nail them to the edge of the plywood........?

Huh......... what tool is that? :huh:

I guess I'll have to spell it out for you :rolleyes:

S....A....W

perhaps you've read about it :D

Oh,

and if you don't want to nail that edging, you can clamp the entire length evenly with a Bowclamp and just one bar clamp at each end. :wave:

Thanks all. Stu, your point is well taken about the durability. That was one concern I had. I had intended to use it for cabinets/shelving in my mudroom. With three boys (well, four including me, plus my wife) taking stuff on and off every day, maybe the glue-on edge banding is not the best option.

Has anyone used any of those router bits made for putting a hardwood edge on plywood? The ones I have seen cut a V-groove in the plywood then you use it on your hardwood to make a V then then they glue together.

Rob, I agree with Stu...I've used iron-on banding on several projects that were low use shelving etc and it held up very well. But with destructo boys, I'd recommend something more substantial.

These is a great article called "Six Ways to Edge Band Plywood" in Fine Woodworking issue 156 (May/June 2002) that covers all the main methods. If you have access to this issue or to their web site, check it out.

These is a great article called "Six Ways to Edge Band Plywood" in Fine Woodworking issue 156 (May/June 2002) that covers all the main methods. If you have access to this issue or to their web site, check it out.

Yeah, I've read that. It is a great article. If I recall correctly, Mario also has a video on the site.

I think I'm gonna skip the iron-on stuff & do it another way. I don't wanna have to redo it later.

Opps....Rob, I sent you the e-mail before reading your response. We have snow and ice here today and I'm messing around on the net instead of working.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I've ripped 1/4" strips and glued without any of the extra tongue & groove joints and it held up under hard use very well. If you use clamps, I recommend using a caul because thin strips can get "wavy" The article shows a tape method which actually works very well. I also use a bit more glue than normal as the plywood edge seems to soak it up more.

Good luck.

The stick on banding or the hot melt banding works fine, and the tool is a really good spend, IMHO, but this stuff is fairly fragile, and the glue does eventually give out, then a bump and it all comes off.

For stuff around the house, that does not take any abuse, I'm thinking a shelf with towels on it or such, it is fine, but for the workshop........?

I'd rip off some 1/4" thick strips of wood and glue and nail them, they will take a lot of abuse and still be there.

Just my 2 yen's worth :wave:

That's what I was thinking. I was worried about the banding staying on. I think I'll stick with the wood strips.

Thank you

Don