How clean is your shop?

John Pollman

Howdy folks!

Long time no talk. But it's just because I've finally been pretty busy lately. Things were dead for a long time but a few weeks ago I picked up some decent work. Actually, for the first time in a long time I was working on one job and have product on site for another job waiting to be installed and yet another job waiting to start. That's a GOOD problem to have! ;)

My son is an avid skateboarder and has been for about four years. He does most of his skating at a nearby indoor skate park. It's a nice facility with an indoor park and a nice pro shop too. But they've outgrown the pro shop space and they rented some retail space right on Main Street in down town Rochester. It's very close to their park too. I know the owners pretty well and have done work for them at the park and in their home too. He needed a hand with some things to get ready to open. I figured it would be a few odds and ends. It turned out to be MUCH more than that. They took over the building and pretty much prepped and painted the walls and it was pretty much a big empty space. That's where I came in. I've pretty much done the entire build out. When they open tomorrow and customers walk in, just about everything they see in the way of displays is my work. I built the sales counter, their shoe display area, the clothing display racks and cabinets, all of their board display racks, and I even designed and built their light fixtures.

They wanted to display their graphic boards vertically instead of horizontally so I designed a rack system that works very well so far. I spent a LOT of time cutting, bending, and threading 1/4" steel rod for that portion of the build. I thought they just wanted a couple racks but after getting the prototype done, they loved it and decided that they wanted space for 130 boards! :eek: That's cool, but I'm not set up as a machine shop so it was all done with a vise, angle grinder, a small sledge, and a die wrench. If I ever build more of these, I think I'm going to find an easier way to thread the rod than manually! :)

Tomorrow afternoon is the grand opening so I'm going to head over there in the morning and take some pictures. I'll post a few tomorrow evening. Overall it came out very nice. Anyway, about three weeks ago before I started this job my garage was clean and in pretty good shape. But the way they kept on adding to the job I had to go from one project to another and didn't have time to do a complete clean up so my "shop" got WAY out of control. But again, because of the circumstances that's a GOOD problem to have. Here's what my "shop" looked like last week just prior to starting the final phase of the project....

4603447487_51e7ff7aaa_o.jpg

4603447613_a857492465_o.jpg

It's good to be back! I should be posting more now.

Take care

John

glad yu got work john, told my one daughter to mention your name if anyone at GD was looking for some work to be done.. so glad yur on the road to riches again:)

Shop clean? :rofl: Surely you jest. Don't you know using those two words in the same sentence creates an oxymoron? :rolleyes:
My saying is a used shop is a loved shop.
Behold the most used corner in mine. Pretty typical for any given time. Occasionally sweep up.
I want to see pics of Rennie's shop. :D

Attachments

• shop dirty.jpg
    shop dirty.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 34
Shop clean? :rofl: Surely you jest. Don't you know using those two words in the same sentence creates an oxymoron? :rolleyes:
My saying is a used shop is a loved shop.
Behold the most used corner in mine. Pretty typical for any given time. Occasionally sweep up.
I want to see pics of Rennie's shop. :D

Here ya go! It's a mess right now 'cause I'm in the middle of a project. But it is well stocked.:D:D (and stop calling me Shirley):rofl:

DSC_0041.jpgDSC_0042.jpgDSC_0043.jpg

The first pic below is from January...my shop will never be this clean again. Unless the wife insists on parking in there this winter. :eek:

The second pic is what my shop looks like today. :p

Attachments

• p_00196-1.jpg
    p_00196-1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20080312_0017.JPG
    20080312_0017.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 33
Rennie have you ever done any work in that shop ?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No blood stains on the floor, no stain or finish spills. You really need to come and just sit a spell and see how a shop works :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding. I know your intentions are good, "if you build it work will come"

Rennie have you ever done any work in that shop ?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No blood stains on the floor, no stain or finish spills. You really need to come and just sit a spell and see how a shop works :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding. I know your intentions are good, "if you build it work will come"
Nice.:rofl::rofl:

Actually, I'm working on 3 tables right now - you can see the parts strewn all over the table saw. I am guilty of sweeping at least twice a day. More for safety reasons than neatness. I painted my floors with an epoxy many years ago but did not use a traction additive. Sawdust can make them a bit slippery and I don't want to be falling into an spinning blades!:eek: Right now I think it looks pretty sloppy. It's usually much cleaner.:wave::rofl::rofl:

An, oh, by the way. I try to keep my blood stains on the work rather than the floor. Kind of a trade mark.:D

You guys are just amateurs when it comes to a messy shop. Unless it takes a whole day or better to clean and you use at least 5 drum liners to put saw dust in. :thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Or when the pile of sawdust gets so big you have an extra assembly table.:thumb::thumb:
Oh where we are working the owner has a shop. I don't think there has been a cut off thrown away in 20 years. Or anything else:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I will swim up stream from you rednecks and say i am a health and safety guy. I plan on being able to do woodworking for a long time so i clean up very often. But my shop aint as clean as Glenns.:D:thumb:

Well I must confess my side of the shop has to stay clean in the spray booth but my son's side I have been trying to figure out where he got this neat freek attitude from, guy is always cleaning.