Here's a nice little router jig....

John Pollman

Hi folks,
a couple weeks ago I designed and built a bunch of skate board racks for a customer that is opening a new pro shop. I made a prototype that worked very well but after showing it to them, they wanted space to store 130 boards. That was much more than I thought it was going to be so I knew I needed to make a jig to make the routing portion of the job faster, easier, and accurate. I just dug in the scrap bin and in no time had a jig that fit the bill perfectly. Once I used a tape and marked the layout, it just took a couple clamps and I was ready to go. I had to cut nineteen slots in each of seven 1x8's. It made the job quick, easy, and accurate. I love jigs! Here's what it looks like....

4603447707_37c31c3ccb_o.jpg

Take care!

John

Oh boy now you dun it. You just solved the shoe rack issue in this house of mine. Not sure about you but in Canada we have this thing which i aint got used to after all the years.

You take your shoes off entering the house. Heck i did that in the east but back in SA we never did. But then again we never had hardwood floors like here or salt and snow.:rofl:

Now those angled slots will make more efficient use of space and allow for shoes to be angled down.

Gonna nock off one of those given how easy you made it.

Thanks a ton John. Just the kick i needed.:D:thumb:

Thanks guys!

No problem Vaughn, I'll be going over there a little later today to take some pictures. Their grand opening is at 3:00 today and they're still in the process of stocking the store. Once it's all stocked and ready to open I want to get some good shots. It's been a hectic couple of weeks around here. When the job started I thought he'd have a couple odds and ends for me to take care of because he had so much to do in getting the shop ready to open. But as it turned out, I did almost the entire build-out. It started with me designing, building, and installing some light fixtures for them. That led to some discussion of another thing he wanted me to do so I got started on that project. Well one thing led to another and except for a glass display case and a couple of display boxes they got at a surplus shop, I ended up building all of the display fixtures and racks in the shop. They had some rough ideas of what they wanted and I threw out some design ideas which they liked so I got busy. It came out pretty nice. As I said earlier, their grand opening is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. on Friday and at about 5:30 p.m. on Thursday I get a call from the owner. They're in the process of stocking the racks and he realizes that one of his ideas isn't working out so well. He had me build a box that was 12" high, 18" deep, and 16' long. (two 8' sections) It sits on the floor against the wall. On top of that there are five 6' sections of 1" black pipe. Those serve two purposes, they are supports for another cabinet that's 18" high x 24" deep x 16' long. Between the verticals I fabricated some brackets to install cross pieces of 1" black pipe to serve as racks to hang pants and shirts. It turned out that 6' wasn't enough space and he wanted me to remove the lower box and extend the pipes to the floor. Well by the time I got there to look over the situation, we were about 21 hours from the grand opening! :eek: Well it was no small task but by about 10:00 p.m. the racks were modified and working. They were stocking them as I left for home. That's the one thing about designing/building a new store front, there are always changes to the design. You just hope that they don't come less than 24 hours before you're due to open!! :D

I'll post some pics of the completed projects later.

John

Last edited:
sure is nice when one little job turns into a real nice one huh?:) must be the jig is made to postion the outside router base between huh? could you show it with the router in postion?

Sure Larry,
I've got to get out in the garage today and finish cleaning up so I'll snap a pic when I do. Actually the router I used is a RIDGID laminate trimmer. It's a nice little router for small jobs. The router base just slides into the notch in the jig. I've got the a stop attached to the under side of the jig that gives me the correct 45 degree angle for the slot. It worked out very well.

John