Nova DVR xp Fault Low Voltage message

Drew Watson

For all out there that own the Nova DVR xp lathes have anyone been experiencing this massage? This happens when i am turning rough blanks and it trips the machine to shut off. I thought that it was the sensor but this is the message that comes up on the display. Is this suppose to happen with this lathe or an I doing something wrong. I have sent an E-mail to Teknatool support but have recieved no reply yet. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Nova DVR xp Fault Low Voltage mesage

Gordan.is Tim Giest still handleing there tech problems?I know that when I had a problem,I called him,as he would rarely respond to emails.He told me one time that he hates puters :D he's an OK fella though,no complaints here.Allways took care of my problems.

Last edited:
It's not so much a problem Stu it doesn't happen all the time it never happens on spindle stock just on the larger bowl blanks. Anytime it gets the slightest catch or turning air it trips and i get the message. It gets frustrating at times and I was wondering if it was just the way that this worked. I inquired with Teknatools as to how to disable this feature. No answer from the tech support and it has been a couple of days. This is how i am feeling right now:bang::bang::bang::D

I'm out west what time zone is Tim in? does he handle the US and Canada?
Eastern Time Zone.
Don't know the exact hours. He starts his day very early, and goes home early. (definitely not 9 to 5)
That number is not his home phone, don't worry that you will wake his family up if you call early.

Well Just got off the phone with Tim and he is sending me the 220 upgrade panel for the lathe. It seems that the new units have a circuit board on the cover. A small fee of 22.00 for parts + shipping and he will install the new switch and plug there so all I have to do is unplug the old unit and throw it away then plug in the new unit and it will be ready to go with a substansial HP increase as well. So this will solve the problem ( I Hope). The pic shows the entire circuit board and cover and the second is the two wires (blue and brown) that have to be unplgged to and replugged back in with the new cover to upgrade. Way different than the pics on the web site with the simple jumper that has to be removed. I wanted to upgrade to 220 anyways so this was on my list of things to get done. Now just have to don the electrican cap and move some wires around and get a dedicated 220 outlet for the lathe.

Attachments

• Nova lathe circuit board 001.JPG
    Nova lathe circuit board 001.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Nova lathe circuit board 002.JPG
    Nova lathe circuit board 002.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 33
I'm glad they are treating your right, good to hear!

Maybe you should clean the inside of that lathe now and then :rolleyes: :D

Made double sure the lathe is unplugged, for a few minutes before you start messing around pulling wires, the DVR takes a few moments to fully discharge after you turn it off and unplug it.

FYI

Cheers!

I'm glad they are treating your right, good to hear!

Maybe you should clean the inside of that lathe now and then :rolleyes: :D

Made double sure the lathe is unplugged, for a few minutes before you start messing around pulling wires, the DVR takes a few moments to fully discharge after you turn it off and unplug it.

FYI

Cheers!

Yea Stu I was a little shocked at how much dust was in there as I am constantly blowing it out with the air hose. Yes I did have to remind myself again when I was about to take the back cover off to un plug it :thumb:. I always turn the lathe off after every use as I am fearful of power surges with this unit as we have had lots of power outages in the area the past few years. Service from Tim was great and very helpful with everything. I was thinking ahead when I took the pics and put them up on the monitor when I was talking to him rather than running back and forth to the lathe. Oh I still have not recieved a reply from the e-mail that I sent to Teknatool customer service. Glad that they have Tim here as I think I would grow more gray waiting for a reply from home office.

Hi Folks

I am new here after being sent this thread from a friend. I am a 67 year old novice wood turner, having decided this could be enjoyable, in my old age...and it is.

Now I have the same lathe as Drew, purchased in Jan/2010. I seem to be having this same problem. At times the lathe will kick off at the slightest of catches, and I get the "low voltage" message, but at other times I will have a hard catch, and the lathe will not kick off, but the motor seems to spin up.

I have hesitated to call tech support. I went through this several months ago with a minor problem, and it was almost impossible to get a hold of Tim. I will try early Monday morning though. Hopefully it will be an easy fix, like Drew's.

Well thanks for "listening" to my rant, and I look forward to enjoying your community.

Ray

I am new here after being sent this thread from a friend. I am a 67 year old novice wood turner, having decided this could be enjoyable, in my old age...and it is.

Now I have the same lathe as Drew, purchased in Jan/2010. I seem to be having this same problem. At times the lathe will kick off at the slightest of catches, and I get the "low voltage" message, but at other times I will have a hard catch, and the lathe will not kick off, but the motor seems to spin up.

I have hesitated to call tech support. I went through this several months ago with a minor problem, and it was almost impossible to get a hold of Tim. I will try early Monday morning though. Hopefully it will be an easy fix, like Drew's.

Well thanks for "listening" to my rant, and I look forward to enjoying your community.

Ray

Hi Ray, Welcome to the dark side of the vortex. Always happy to have another turner here. One day Larry will see the light and join us too. :rofl:

I'm Sorry to hear that you are having the same issues with yours as I have had, but from what i have been reading we are not alone. I am upgradeing to 220 volt and with that get the increase in the HP. Tim said that he is finding that fixes the problem. He is installing the new switch and plug (for the 220) for 23 bucks then I pay the shipping. I am hoping that this fixes the problem. From what I have read on other posts this is the solution. So my fingers are crossed.

I don't know Ray, Tim seems to be really good and I am surprised that you have had problems getting a old of him. I let the phone ring ( doesn't sound much like a ring) and then the fax sound came through and then it sounded like we had been disconnected. So I dialed again and did this two more time. This was around 6 pacific time when I called. I didn't get Tim at first but left a message and he called back within the hr. I am a little disapointed that i have still not heard anything back from the home office Tech support yet. At least Tim was able to help it took a total of 10 min. Oh a point to make if you are calling Tim, take the cover off and have a look to make sure what style of circuit board you have. The new ones have the board on the cover plate. It will save you having to call Tim back with the info.

Hi Drew, thank you for the welcome, and the info. I just took the cover plate off. The only board I see is below the indexing wheel. The only things I see on the inside of the cover plate are the backside of the switch, the elect.cord, and the fuse, so maybe I need the upgrade. I will call Tim Monday morning, and also upgrade to 220V.

Thanks again,
Ray