Pedestal Table - TDW-2010 Fallout

glenn bradley

Well the tour of Sam's place planted a seed. I need an end table for the living room. Fortunately, since I have never done this sort of thing before, I have a collection of junk-wood I keep for mock-ups and prototypes:

a-PedTab-Const-Lmbr.jpg

I use a magnet as a stop on an Incra rule to keep the rule still while I mark for some dados:

b-Ped-Table Mag Trick 1.jpgc-Ped-Table Mag Trick 2.jpg

I've become big on setup blocks and already cut parts as measuring devices:

d-Ped-Table SU blks 2.jpge-Ped-Table SU blks .jpg

I set a dado stack up at less than the desired width and run the piece twice per side. Once with each face against the fence and end-for-end. This centers the dado and creates my final width:

f-Ped-Table Dado 1.jpg

Last edited:
Pedestal Table - TDW Fallout Cont'd

The center post starts to take shape:

g-Ped-Table Dado 2.jpg

I played around with the total leg profile. I have three ideas I will mock up and attach for a "real world" view:

h-Ped-Table-Template.jpg

Yet another use for the old Mortise Pal:

i-Ped-Table-MP.jpg

Clamping these things is an art form I have not mastered but, that's why I test these things out on scrap lumber. I think I now have a plan but, its not shown here ;-)

j-Ped-Table-Glueup 2.jpg

A little touching up and its time for dados on the legs:

k-Ped-Table Dado 3.jpgl-Ped-Table Dado 4.jpg

Yet another great use for the medium shoulder plane:

m-Ped-Table Dado 5.jpg

I'll keep stuff coming as I progress. The real build will be in black walnut as a tip of the hat to the late, great Sam Maloof.

Last edited:
Good for you Glenn. As you probubly know I've made a few of those. If I can aswer any questions for ya please feel free to ask. Looks to me that your well on your way. One thing I do differantly is I glue the three pieces for the legs befor shaping them with the template. Thats the way Sam taught me. Makes it easier to clamp. Your way seems to be working.

Thanks Don. I should have thought about doing the glue up before I even rough cut the pieces to shape. I do use the template after glue up and as long as I'm going to do that, I may as well have square edges available. Did you do the little lap-jointed cross of wood set into the top and bottom for structural strength?

Attachments

• maloof-cross.jpg
    maloof-cross.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Thanks Don. I should have thought about doing the glue up before I even rough cut the pieces to shape. I do use the template after glue up and as long as I'm going to do that, I may as well have square edges available. Did you do the little lap-jointed cross of wood set into the top and bottom for structural strength?
I do on larger table that will have some weight but the smaller ones like your I don't bother. No weight to worry about. Your end table should be fine. The first table I made back in 05 didn't have em and it's doing fine so I am told.

Glenn your project looks great. If this is mock up well ??? I gotta learn from you.

I will be following along on this one.

Then i spotted something which has been bothering me for some time on my saw. Been trying to decide what to do and your picure gave it away.

View attachment 45504

Its the screw that you have holding down the throat insert on your table saw. Since i know we both have the same saw, do you know what size thread that is offhand and did you find one with a step in it like the old one.

Mine is allen head and all worn out, so much so that its become a deterent to changing throat inserts which aint good. Been meaning to address this issue for some time.

What was your solution here or did you just use a straight forward slotted head screw with no step in the shank?

Rob, I use the original screw. When I make the ZCI's I duplicate the counter bore of the original plate. Did I help or did I misunderstand the question?

I do on larger table that will have some weight but the smaller ones like your I don't bother. No weight to worry about. Your end table should be fine. The first table I made back in 05 didn't have em and it's doing fine so I am told.

Thanks Don. I thought it was a bit overkill on a small table. I may go ahead and give it a try on the top just for practice. The table top will cover it if I botch it ;-)

Moving Along - Leg and Foot Selection

I have mocked up 3 different legs, one joined via a sliding DT just for grins. I abandoned the pure vertical leg post as seen on the left in favor of the more sweeping leg curve on the right.

Ped-Table-post.jpg

The first foot just had a 3/8" roundover:

Ped-Table-foot-1.jpg

Then I tried a softer shaped look (this is the keeper):

Ped-Table-foot-2.jpg

And a more angular but still soft edged look (a close second but not here, maybe on something larger):

Ped-Table-foot-3.jpg

I hope to get the walnut glue-up for the post and top done today before the yardwork pulls me away . . . .

hey, i bet i know where this is going:) and you got walnut over there too:) did you ever get that planer up and going to do your specail use button:) brent said he was gonna charge me for it:eek::eek: if you didnt show us something:)

looks like you took some very good mental pictures as well>>

Gee, one is away a couple of days, and finds a lot of new projects going on!
If that's the mock-up, I'm pretty sure that the final piece will look even better.
I look forward to seeing the rest of the project.:thumb::thumb:

Took care of some interruptions in the yard (why does that stuff grow so fast?) and took a snooze. LOML called to see what I was doing and thankfully woke me up.

Started to breakdown the walnut stock and mill to approximate size. Gratuitous clamp shot:

r-Ped-Table-clamp-post.jpg

Why I upgraded from my 6" jointer:

s-Ped-Table-8-inch-why.jpg

I'm still staring at a few boards trying to decide on the top. It will have a lamp and a plant on it so not much will show but, I just seem to struggle over the decision . . . I'm sure inspiration will strike. . . or I'll get bored and pick something.

P.s. Many thanks to Don B. for his threads, pics and tips.

P.p.s. The coffee must be kicking in . . . I think of the things we see in the background of shots from members posts as 'Easter Eggs'. I noticed the pencil and caliper stuck to the mag-swx-box on the jointer in this thread and thought I'd add that I do the same thing under the infeed of the planer:

Attachments

• t-Ped-Table-planer-easter-egg.jpg
    t-Ped-Table-planer-easter-egg.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: