Redneck or Rooinek...who got it first? A little piece of history...

Rob Keeble

Since i aint a hijacker of threads or at least try not to:D:rofl: I had to start a new one to get into this subject which i thought might interest some of you US rednecks out there.:D;):thumb:

Chuck wanted to ensure certain rights to the term were not being assumed by others refering to their regional ethnicity in the USA, i guess he assumed its only for him.

Now Chuck i thought rednecks was a reserved term from my part of the world. Actually one which if we get into the semantics of moderation on an international basis should to all intent and purpose probably not be allowed on our forum.:D See its considered derogatory back where i came from.

Yup its what i was called by my fellow South Africans just because i spoke English and had english roots. Only thing is the term has been translated from Rooineks.

Goes back to the Boer war days when the British soldiers all lilly white would come to Africa and get the back of their neck burnt by the harsh sun. I know there is belief that it actually caused them to change the design of their helmet to ensure it came on down the back of their necks.

pith helemt warn by brits.jpg

But the Boers would call them Rooineks with rooi meaning red in "dutch" and nek well that is just bad spelling but the same meaning.

So we gotta have a adjudicator here as to who had the term first. Maybe a certain literary admin guy would help out with who the real redneck is. You gotta prove you own that word in time. My reference goes back to 1899. :thumb:;):):rofl::rofl:

More about headresss in the old days here
http://www.paoyeomanry.co.uk/LY3.htm

With the movie Robin Hood resurfacing in a new form, its interesting to review the term yeomanry and its origins for those wishing to explore he beginnings of modern day democratic rights.

A recent TV show about the history of coal mining in the Appalachian region of the U.S. said a battle between factions in the coal industry started the phrase. One side used red bandannas to identify themselves from the enemy. Dunno if that was the only source of the phrase. As you say, sunburned necks are sort of a badge for outdoor workers.