professional and users advice

larry merlau

as we all get older our eyes get weaker, so i am at the point where i am asking you folks ,,do you have the lazer surgery at the age of fifty something or just keep wearing glasses..at 500 to 600 a pop for glasses you could get the surgery and not have the glasses. so to those of you in the glasses or lazer catagory or those that have professional advice.. speak up and let us other folk know our options and the pros and cons of it.. one tired "looker" person, but i have only been at it for a few years not a life time..

For me I'll stick with glasses. These are my first pair of glasses and I went with safety glasses since I need them for my job anyway. I now a few people that had the laser surgery and they had to have the surgery again becuase the first one didn't do the correction.

As far as I'm concerned, I would stick to glasses, they are pain to wear hanging from your neck if you need them only for tired vision or presbitia, and putting them on and off.

I'm really scared about anyone messing around with my eyes, so unless I can't hardly see I think I will use glasses.

Well, Larry, about 17 years ago my eye sight was 20/400 with astigmatism. I could work on very tiny things without magnification, BUT I couldn't see anything clearly 6 feet or farther away.

I checked it out with those who had had laser surgery done. they were satisfied. So am I. I have had NO problems. I do wear "Cheaters" for close up at a cost of 9.00 a pair instead of 400.00 for clear and sunglasses.

The proceedure took about 1 hour plus a hotel room so I could be checked in the morning. I get a checkup each year to make sure everything is still fine, at no cost.

For me, it was the way to go.

Bruce

My daughter in law was severly nearsighted. She had the laser surgery (I'm not sure which procedure) several years ago and is very happy with the results.
I had secondary cataracts removed with laser a couple years ago. Easy procedure, no discomfort and all is well.

My Mom and step dad had to done a few years back and they are in their 70's and 80's and they love it and highly recomend it. I have checked into it and lots of doctors here will not do it unless you are 50 or older. So a couple more years for me.

I'm fairly nearsighted, I used to wear Contact lenses, and as I aged, I got to where I had to wear reading glasses with them for close up work, I talked to my eye doctor and she said that I would have to wear the reading glasses if if I had the laser surgery just like with the contacts. So now I just stick with bifocals

as we all get older our eyes get weaker, so i am at the point where i am asking you folks ,,do you have the lazer surgery at the age of fifty something or just keep wearing glasses..at 500 to 600 a pop for glasses you could get the surgery and not have the glasses. so to those of you in the glasses or lazer catagory or those that have professional advice.. speak up and let us other folk know our options and the pros and cons of it.. one tired "looker" person, but i have only been at it for a few years not a life time..

Well I give less than 20.00 a pair for prescription single vision glasses. Now the progressive bifocals I have paid as much as 180.00 for. I just this week scratched the lenses on the newest pair of safety glasses I have and no longer have a job to get them for free, so I don't know how bad they will set me back.

I suspect at some time I will have to have cataract surgery as everyone in my family has, and that will correct my vision the same as laser would.

I get my glasses here any more..
http://www.zennioptical.com

As far as I'm concerned, I would stick to glasses, they are pain to wear hanging from your neck if you need them only for tired vision or presbitia, and putting them on and off.

I'm really scared about anyone messing around with my eyes, so unless I can't hardly see I think I will use glasses.

I'm with Toni on this one... I hate wearing glasses and have just this past year had to go to reading glasses... I've worn glasses for driving for 40 years, but could see up close without them until this last year...
I don't want anyone messing with my eyes with anything that could cause blindness or worsen my vision....

That said, my son at 15 needed his glasses to find the floor in the morning... when he was about 25 he had laser surgery and has perfect vision today...
My wife is having another problem... she has a wrinkle in the membrane over her retina on one eye and the doctor wants to peel the membrane off and let it heal... he said she would have blurry vision for a few weeks, then it would clear up and be some better.. not perfect, but better...

I'm a scaredy cat about messing with my eyes. I'm extremely nearsighted with astigmatism. People ask me the near sighted/far sighted question - I say anything beyond the tip of my nose is distance and I need my glasses.

I spend a bunch of money every year on glasses but my boss at work has a corneal issues after having lasik surgery. Not for me - yet! My prescription hasn't changed in 2-3 years so maybe it's almost time.

The worst case would be they correct me enough that I go from coke bottle glasses to a lesser prescription. I'd still need glasses - just thinner ones.

I need to follow up on safety glasses though - I'm slacking on that so far. Sort of silly - taking chances but scared of surgery - I know.

Cheers

Jim

I had mine done about 6 years ago, and I love it, no more stinking glasses! I started wearing glasses at age 12. Now at age 46, I do have to wear reading glasses for close up stuff, but that is no biggie, I don't have to wear glasses for 98% of that stuff I do.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but everyone is different, and age certainly has something to do with it. I'd find a good eye doc and have a long chat.:thumb:

I had mine done about 6 years ago, and I love it, no more stinking glasses! I started wearing glasses at age 12. Now at age 46, I do have to wear reading glasses for close up stuff, but that is no biggie, I don't have to wear glasses for 98% of that stuff I do.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but everyone is different, and age certainly has something to do with it. I'd find a good eye doc and have a long chat.:thumb:

I'm so tempted...

I had to go out yesterday, so didn't get my tale done. I did receive a surprise, before surgery. That was that I would have to wear Cheaters. I have worn them and though a little nuicsance, it's worth it.

For those with fears, the proceedures have been done for more than 20 years and the number of problems, few. You should check it out with several different Doctors, before you make a decision. When I was checking around, I found that the clinic in Indianapolis had an almost 100% effective rate, while the same company's Chicago clinic was more like 75%.

Hope it helps.

Bruce

The way I'm looking at it, is that now, in order to see up close, I have to take my glasses off. So most of the time I don't wear my glasses in the shop, just safety glasses. I'd love to be able to go out in the day time and be able to just 'see' without glasses. If I had to wear cheaters in the shop, then I guess it would just reinforce my needing to wear safety glasses.

I totally agree with Toni. This sort of reminds me of the story about how safe nuclear stuff is when the half life is so many thousands of years that no one that said it was safe will be around when it aint.

Glasses for me but oh boy i hate them and i am still in denial using them only when in a bind.:D

48 this year :eek::eek: man when did that happen? :huh::dunno::doh: I can't see objects at distances so yep, wore them ole glasses this spring and saw my gobbler and bagged him! Up close, reading, don't need them really so at school I just put them on in the morning and take them off when I get home. For my home shop, my safety glasses are the yellow ones and they really lighten things up for me and make lines and such clear. For now :eek::doh::eek:.

My wife had the surgery about 5 years ago. Due to the fact we were paying using our flex spending account at work. She had one eye done in December and the other in January. Her procedure involved using a blade to cut the cornea and they laid it back out of the way, while the laser did it's work. Took all of 5 minutes for each eye.

The day before the surgery she was unable to see more than 10' in front of her, the day after she was reading signs almost to far away for me to read.

Depending on the type of surgery you have, you may need to use eye drops (saline solution) for some time after. She still does, but mostly out of habit. She swears it was the best money every spent...so don't let that stop you.

Last edited: