Night stand??

larry merlau

Would this look better with a door or not? Or possibly 3 drawers?

nightstand.jpg

the way i see it, to get into it the door would be a pain from the bed. but it would keep things outa site and in ck. and as for the three drawers goes, to much of one thing??? what say yee great designers:dunno::dunno:

A simple raised panel door - Shaker style - in keeping with the clean, simple design of the rest of it. Inset the door, and maybe use knife hinges to keep the clean look.

Larry, I made a pair of nightstands similar to that one. One drawer and one fielded panel door. Each door opens towards the person in the bed. I have found it very useful for hiding the clutter of books and mags that I might want to have by the bed. It is easy to open the door and the drawer from in bed. Just my $.02.

And a little cut-n-paste shows you 3 drawers. The perspective is a bit off, with the photo angle.

nightstand.jpg

If I did multiple drawers I would not make them all the same size, though.
All in all, I think the door would look better.

Plans for this cabinet are free if you have a subscription to the online service at Fine Woodworking. Just click on the picture.

Last edited:
Larry, I made a pair of nightstands similar to that one. One drawer and one fielded panel door. Each door opens towards the person in the bed. I have found it very useful for hiding the clutter of books and mags that I might want to have by the bed. It is easy to open the door and the drawer from in bed. Just my $.02.

Ken and Dave, we have this very same unit on each side of our bed in our main bedroom.

One thing though you have the hinge on the wrong side. The door needs to open away from the bed. That way you can still be in bed pop the door open and get something out of it or put something in it. Example I can hang my hand over the edge of the bed, pop the door open and take out my batton and torch should the need arise. If the door opens towards the bed well that becomes a case of get out of bed and face the cupboard door with your back to who know who and open the door to get something out.

Larry other than torch it becomes a junk storage place which if it did not exist and was only a shelf i am sure it would get cleaned up.:D

Me being the clutter bug I am, I would go with the door. Now, I don't know which way for the hinges. I can see both perspectives. Hinges towards the bed I could put the holster on the inside of the door panel and then at a moment, pop that door open against the side of the bed and have a secure grip on the weapon. Hinge on other side from the bed, open the door and put a book away then close it. Ok, me being me, the first one, hinge towards the bed, I like secure grips! I will agree that it is a cleaner/prettier look without the door on a showroom or on your bench, but me being a clutter bug, definitely a cleaner/prettier look two months in my bedroom with a door on it!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Very similar to the cabinet we keep our phone books in, it was originally for a "thunder bucket". Know what I am talking about???

Think about this larry if you are laying in bed and want to access something from the night stand what is going to be easier? A shelf that you have to get down to look into? A cupboard that is nothing more than a shelf that you have to get down and look into, with a door? Or a drawer that you can pull out and look down into? I have two drawers in my night stands and find it more functional over more decorative. Just my 2 cents worth.

IMHO that piece is just fine as it is. As a night stand it needs to be open so when you are dozing off you can lean over and place the book on the shelf. As a guest room piece, the open shelf presents to the guest these books or Mags to enjoy before you rest. A closed door suggests hidden objects and not welcome to explore.

As for the figured panel, should you go with a door. The piece needs to compliment the rest of the furnishings, a highly figured or contrasting color panel needs to blend the piece with the existing furniture or it will look out of place and a hodgepodge of designs. Are there any other complimentry features of the wood or grains with other parts of the piece? An ornat panel not complimented by other features simply looks like a piece with a strange looking door.

My $0.02 worth