Bandsaw Questions

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I thoroughly cleaned my shop today (no laughing Larry). As I was leaning back admiring my work for a moment I noticed that my band saw table seemed to be tilting towards the front. Now I've always known to check the table for square from the side of the blade, but I never thought to check front to back. It so happens that I changed the position of the saw when cleaning and was able to look at it from a new angle.

There are adjustment screws to set this right, but before I do any major changing I wanted to query the collective mind of the forum. I assume the table should be square to the front to rear axis of the blade. Is this correct?:huh:

Second question. I need to remove, clean, and lube my guide bearings. What do you use?:dunno:

I would make sure it is square to the blade from the sides and from the front of the blade. As for cleaning the guide bearings I just soak mine in auto trans fluid overnight.

i thought the bearings were sealed bearings? if so, you can soak for along time and gain nothing. the noise you have. i still think is from a adjustment problem.

It needs to be square to the blade at the front, too. Otherwise any 'stopped' cut - like for a tenon shoulder - won't be square.

I would make sure it is square to the blade from the sides and from the front of the blade. As for cleaning the guide bearings I just soak mine in auto trans fluid overnight.

I thought so, square it will be!:thumb:

i thought the bearings were sealed bearings? if so, you can soak for along time and gain nothing. the noise you have. i still think is from a adjustment problem.

Nope, not sealed. They are very stiff and one is stuck. I'll try the soaking and see what happens. If nothing, then it might be time for some new, although these don't have that much use on them.:huh::dunno:

Good info already provided. As to the bearings, a lot of originals are "shielded". If you get replacements, the "sealed" style are just a little more money and we're not talking a lot. I bought a full set for my G0513X for about $15, delivered.

Rennie,
Are these the guide bearings - like on Carter guides, etc. - or are you talking about the thrust bearings that are behind the blade? (I'm assuming a generic 14" saw, here.)

If it's thrust bearings, think about replacing them with ceramic.

My Laguna 16" came with the ceramic guides and thrust, and I liked them so much that I later replaced the bearings and blocks on my TaiChi 14" saw with ceramics, too. Slightly more expensive than new bearings and cool blocks, but it's a one-time expense, since the ceramics last pretty much forever.

Interesting question on the table. Never worried about square front to back. Will take a look at mine today. But, now the wondering mind starts to wonder...does it really make a difference?
As for the bearings......lubricate? :doh::eek: