When we were young and not afraid..Now woodworking related

Don Baer

Staff member
If anyone is wondering about my avatar, it is reminecent of my younger years. I was privlidged to live a small part of my life in a world only few get to expierance. This link is a web page to a small part of my life that will live in my heart forever. I hope you enjoy my small adventure.

Last edited:
Interesting Story Don. I read most of it (my A.D. D. kicked in). Sorry you couldn't recoupe your investment but I am glad that you had a lot of fun with the fine lady.

Great sailing story Don.:thumb: You must be a good reader after all the time spent cooped up in a sub. You got to admit though nothing beats sailing and the place you dun it well nothing gets better.:thumb:

A few things about her construction you might find interesting. Her Frames and keel were White oak. She was double planked with 8/4 White Pine and the deck was white oak also. To keep the deck sealed we would wash it down with salt water. The outside of the hual was coper plated and for ballast they had used concrete The rails and dog houses were teak. We never put finish on the teak just kept it oiled with Watco teak oil. Both masts were also Pine and the main mast was 137 feet from the deck to the top of the mast. At Christmas time we would string colered lights from the Bow Sprint to the top of the main mast to the misson and to the end of the mission boom. The lights were standard light bulbs which pained colors over 300 bulbs.

Don, that was a brilliant story.

Did you write that from memory, or did you keep a journal back then?

It was from memory but I wrote it in sections as I recalled more facts I added to it. I have a good friend that I've known almost a long as I've been married and he and my wife reminded me of some details I had related. Facts like the sails were bought with a loan from my parents. I was at sea when Fran found them and I was on patrol at the time so they persued my parent to loan them for the money. We payed my parents back for the sails after we were married.