Weird chainsaw blade question - Warning: scary halloween pics!

Hello everyone, I have a weird question for you. Has anyone ever seen a chainsaw "blade" that's not really a blade for cutting, but something that would fit on a chainsaw and spin just like the blade, but it would be something abrasive that when making contact with the cement on the ground it would cause sparks?

I know it's a weird thing to be looking for but I remember years and years ago I went to a haunted house at Six Flags and when you exited the house, a guy in a costume came running after you from around the corner. Well this guy had a chainsaw with something on it that when he dragged it on the concrete it would cause a lot of sparks, and I thought it was really neat.

Now years later, one of my good friends is really into Halloween and special effects. He is a very talented artist and he's made tons of silicone masks and costumes over the years. This past Halloween he made costumes for 5 of us good friends. I posted a picture below of all of us. Every year he gets a group of us close friends together and we scare the trick or treaters at another friends house. He decorates the whole front yard with cobwebs and different mannequins outfitted with costumes he's made over the years. He also uses fog machines that run through coolers filled with ice. It makes the fog sit on the ground to create a spooky haze. He's had an old crummy organ sitting in he's basement that he got real cheap, and since I'm a piano player, this year we beat up the organ and made it look really creepy. I also helped him and I made fake organ pipes coming out of the top with pvc. So I sat and played spooky toons. I'll post a picture of that too ;) So basically what we do is wait for the kids to come around and have a blast putting on a show. The neighbors love it and even the guy across the street brought us over a case of beer for all the effort :) One of the neighbors even offered to pay us to come scare the adults at their party later that night. We just stopped by for the fun, didn't ask for any more :) It was a blast though, this was the first year I actually participated. Don't worry we do age appropriate stuff and try to be less scary towards the little ones :)

Anyway, on with my point, got a little trailed off there :) My friend Pete who makes all these masks and costumes is "Leatherface" with the chainsaw. He bought a cheaper chainsaw and then beat it up and painted it to look old, rusty, and well, gross looking is probably the way I should put it :) The chainsaw runs and he definitely put on a good show with it! But I told him about the chainsaw I saw at that haunted house when I was a kid and I just thought it would be a cool idea for this coming halloween. He's always working on this kind of stuff and making new costumes. I was just over there the other night hanging out and I brought up the idea to him. I thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone knows of anything.

The only thing I could think of is if they have some sort of "blade" or metal chain that has abrasive pieces attached to it... sort of like the abrasive material that is on a grinding disc for an angle grinder??? I have no idea if something like this even exists, just wondering if anyone has seen such a thing or if anyone has any ideas? The most important thing is that It needs to be very safe!!!! Don't want any accidents! If it can't be done safely then it's not even worth it, just giving it a shot :thumb: Thanks for lookin everyone

ps- upon browsing the Halloween pics to post them, I figured I'll throw a couple more in there to show you the yard decorations! Oh and by the way I am the zombie in the middle. You probably recognize everyone else's characters

Attachments

• Halloween1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Halloween1 (600 x 450).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 62
  • organ.jpg
    organ.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Halloween2.jpg
    Halloween2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Beatlejuice.jpg
    Beatlejuice.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 44
Hello everyone, I have a weird question for you. Has anyone ever seen a chainsaw "blade" that's not really a blade for cutting, but something that would fit on a chainsaw and spin just like the blade, but it would be something abrasive that when making contact with the cement on the ground it would cause sparks?

I know it's a weird thing to be looking for but I remember years and years ago I went to a haunted house at Six Flags and when you exited the house, a guy in a costume came running after you from around the corner. Well this guy had a chainsaw with something on it that when he dragged it on the concrete it would cause a lot of sparks, and I thought it was really neat.

Now years later, one of my good friends is really into Halloween and special effects. He is a very talented artist and he's made tons of silicone masks and costumes over the years. This past Halloween he made costumes for 5 of us good friends. I posted a picture below of all of us. Every year he gets a group of us close friends together and we scare the trick or treaters at another friends house. He decorates the whole front yard with cobwebs and different mannequins outfitted with costumes he's made over the years. He also uses fog machines that run through coolers filled with ice. It makes the fog sit on the ground to create a spooky haze. He's had an old crummy organ sitting in he's basement that he got real cheap, and since I'm a piano player, this year we beat up the organ and made it look really creepy. I also helped him and I made fake organ pipes coming out of the top with pvc. So I sat and played spooky toons. I'll post a picture of that too ;) So basically what we do is wait for the kids to come around and have a blast putting on a show. The neighbors love it and even the guy across the street brought us over a case of beer for all the effort :) One of the neighbors even offered to pay us to come scare the adults at their party later that night. We just stopped by for the fun, didn't ask for any more :) It was a blast though, this was the first year I actually participated. Don't worry we do age appropriate stuff and try to be less scary towards the little ones :)

Anyway, on with my point, got a little trailed off there :) My friend Pete who makes all these masks and costumes is "Leatherface" with the chainsaw. He bought a cheaper chainsaw and then beat it up and painted it to look old, rusty, and well, gross looking is probably the way I should put it :) The chainsaw runs and he definitely put on a good show with it! But I told him about the chainsaw I saw at that haunted house when I was a kid and I just thought it would be a cool idea for this coming halloween. He's always working on this kind of stuff and making new costumes. I was just over there the other night hanging out and I brought up the idea to him. I thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone knows of anything.

The only thing I could think of is if they have some sort of "blade" or metal chain that has abrasive pieces attached to it... sort of like the abrasive material that is on a grinding disc for an angle grinder??? I have no idea if something like this even exists, just wondering if anyone has seen such a thing or if anyone has any ideas? The most important thing is that It needs to be very safe!!!! Don't want any accidents! If it can't be done safely then it's not even worth it, just giving it a shot :thumb: Thanks for lookin everyone

ps- upon browsing the Halloween pics to post them, I figured I'll throw a couple more in there to show you the yard decorations! Oh and by the way I am the zombie in the middle. You probably recognize everyone else's characters

Just the steel from the chain would cause sparks it if touched the ground.

I'd get an old chain and get a grinder and grind all the teeth off, take two pieces of plywood, sandwich a length of chain in between the two pieces clamped in a vice, get an angle grinder with an abrasive disk on it and grind everything down, somewhat flat, do the whole chain, so the part that used to cut is now smooth, put the chain back on the chainsaw and you would have your device. Note that if you actually touched the running chain to yourself or someone else it certainly could still do damage, so be very careful!

Cheers!

...Note that if you actually touched the running chain to yourself or someone else it certainly could still do damage, so be very careful!...

I wonder if you could sandwich the bar between two pieces of painted (er...blood-splattered) plywood or clear Lexan to shield all but a couple inches of the tip. That would still allow the user to touch the tip to the sidewalk to shoot sparks, but would keep most of the chain covered for safety. I'd do this after grinding off the cutters as Stu suggested, though.

I wonder if you could sandwich the bar between two pieces of painted (er...blood-splattered) plywood or clear Lexan to shield all but a couple inches of the tip. That would still allow the user to touch the tip to the sidewalk to shoot sparks, but would keep most of the chain covered for safety. I'd do this after grinding off the cutters as Stu suggested, though.

Great idea Vaughn! :thumb:

Black plastic or lexan could also be used, heck, even just the bottom quarter of the tip exposed would do the trick! :D

as long as you had a name on the bar the rest of the saw would look real it doesnt take much to make one believe that what they are seeing is real when it makes noise and makes sparks.. the plex or ply could be kept small to just cover the chain hieght and you would be golden.. clever idea wes..

There was a similar ghoul at Knotts Berry Farm when I worked there.

He ran the saw without the chain and had flints or something glued along the tip of the bar and would drag it for sparks. No moving parts so he could actually touch people with it and make them wet their pants.

there is no need for you to remove the whole blade--just the section that comes in contract with the motor sprocket----just solder the blade in the track and cut the blade where it go around the sprocket