Commission pens

Jim Burr

These were requested by my hospital for our National Respiratory Conference as gifts to the speakers. A week later, I saw one of the speakers, a Medical Director for a large hospital in the Bay area at an unrelated meeting and he was using his pen...doesn't get much better than that.
All were finished in 4 coats of thin CA, knocked down with 2400 mesh.
After looking at mandrel vs Between the Center turning...I'm going to BtC. Trying some test blanks in the coming weeks before I pop a $20 kit into the kindling box. These are Jr Gents in gold and Black titanium, my preference, with everything from eucalyptus to pistachio. Any and all critique is welcomed and used.
Cheers!!

Attachments

• pens.jpg
    pens.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 45
That's a great-looking batch of pens, Jim. it must have felt real good to see one in action a week later. (Did he know you were the maker?) I agree with the other guys...nothing to critique on the pens. I think the photo could be improved pretty easily by using a piece of plain white posterboard as the backdrop instead of the cloth. I think it'd be a smoother, less noticeable surface and highlight the pens better.

Thanks guys!

Vaughn, no he didn't...I try to keep it quite...but I really wanted to say something!!!!:doh::doh:

All...yes, photos need work, it was a rush shot in my make-shift box just to have a record of 'em. My current box has a cheese cloth-type sheet for the difuser. Goodwill for sheets is in the future. I think the issue was trying to shoot to many at to large a span. A better shot would have been one at a time...but I think I have some poster board somewhere???. :type:
I'm working a few "BtC" that I hope don't do the oval thing...I really felt some oval was there, but only I could tell. That was enough :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Vaughn, no he didn't...I try to keep it quite...but I really wanted to say something!!!!:doh::doh:

All...yes, photos need work, it was a rush shot in my make-shift box just to have a record of 'em. My current box has a cheese cloth-type sheet for the difuser. Goodwill for sheets is in the future. I think the issue was trying to shoot to many at to large a span. A better shot would have been one at a time...but I think I have some poster board somewhere???. :type:
I'm working a few "BtC" that I hope don't do the oval thing...I really felt some oval was there, but only I could tell. That was enough :eek::eek:

I was the only one to toss in a zinger. Color me thoughtless. :eek:
Oh, well. :rolleyes:
BTW, I often use squares of colored felt that can be bought at Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, ect. very inexpensively. They are about one foot square. That is enough to lay out several items for one shot. Using almost any digi cam, I often will lay the items on the floor and shoot from straight above using the on camera flash. (but don't tell anyone you are using the on-cam flash as that is an amateur way of doing things. ;) ) Results vary from good to excellent. It is another application of my KISS principle of doing things.