Some January Family Woodworking Statistics that I Recorded

:wave: ... Just another lurker waving back - someday I may have something meaningful to contribute - until then I very much appreciate the information available here

I have 2 reasons for suggesting a new thread. I think the thread has drifted considerably from its original topic. The other is that this forum is open to prospective members who may read this and be discouraged from joining.

That's all. Let the debate take place, just take it to a slightly less public forum and give it it's own thread to focus attention on it.

Forgive me for butting in.

IG
IAN
One of the reason why this forum exists is so that members can agree to disagree. While Frank and I may disagree as to what consistutes participation at least we are free to "discuss" the issue. On other forum we would have been edited out already. I just want to make sure that anyone who is thinking about joining this forum understands that this is a member run forum so that the opinions of one member do no necessarily reflect the opinions of the entire forum.

I agree--in that it is great to have disagreements in public. The unspoken [hope it remains unspoken] issue is simple respect for differing points of view.

While I have my own opinions about stats, I think thus far this is no different than if me, Frank and Don are sitting in my front room and arguing our points. Healthy spings to mind.

Take care, Mike

You know that kids all learn to speak at different rates, some kids are bursting to start talking just about the time they get slapped on the fanny, some take a much longer. In reading up on how children learn language (I taught ESL for about 6 years here in Japan) I found that most of the studies show a wide range in kids beginning to speak. Some kids mimic the people they are around and in that way learn to make sounds and then learn what the sounds mean, on the other end of the scale are the very quiet kids, they don't hardly make a noise, but then one day just start talking. My younger sister was like that, she would hardly say "Mama" or "Dada" and did not even bother with myself or my brother, but then one day, she just started to speak in whole sentences. Instead of the mimic kid saying "milk" and gesturing for the milk, my sister waited until she could say "I want some Milk".

What does this have to do with Family Woodworking?

Well, in some ways, members are like them kids, some will come in and on their first post, give you a shop tour, a history of their hobby, and pics of their latest projects, others will lurk (which I DO NOT consider a derogatory term!!) for a long time, waiting and absorbing and then one day, when they find the right spot, just jumping in.

Do I think you have to post to contribute? No, not really, it would be nice if you could, if you want to, but to make it some how mandatory is not going to happen.

Everyone is welcome here, as long as you stick to the CoC and thankfully, so far, we have not really had any problems with that.

As to this discussion being in public, I do not have a problem with that, Ian, I do understand your concern, but I agree with Mike that a healthy, polite and public discussion on the way we, the members of this site run it, is the best possible way to attract members who would want to make this a good place.

Cheers!

I don't see the need to make the distinction. If someone registers they are a participant. Posting is wonderful, but thinking back on my first discovery of a forum, it took me quite awhile to make my first post.

So, back to the shop!

Jay

Can I make a friendly suggestion here? Well, yes I can :)

But seriously, if anyone wants to discuss this as a topic, could we at least move it to Members Only so our differences are not out there for everyone to see?

Thank you
Ian G
Ian, I am reluctant to move this thread to the members only forum. Just as I think the statistics I have captured should be public knowledge, I think that the discussion of how I choose those particular statistics should be public knowledge.

Anyone (member or not) who is interested can use the publicly available facilities at Family Woodworking to capture the statistics that I chose to publish. And any member is quite at liberty to publish different statistics using different criteria.

i`d like to jump back in and say that my view of family woodworking is that it`s a place for folks to get together to learn about woodworking.......kinda like a virtual shop class without the physical shop......just `cause johnny or suzi don`t ask or answer questions all the time doesn`t mean that they`re not learning......heck how many "new kids" in school just jumped right into the fracus? most sat back and tried to figure out what page everybody was on before they opened up.......if they opened up......some folks are just shy, or quiet.......ain`t nuthin` wrong with either.......tod

Hi everyone

Back from the shop, been thinking this thread over a bit.

I think the real issue isn't the numbers that Frank has presented but the interpretation thereof.

Let's look at Chip for a moment (not to single out Chip but I noticed his post because he lives in Rochester, a city where I was raised.

He has posted very little -- three I think, one here, one where he noted his financial contribution -- I didn't look for the third.

So, here is someone who very quickly found value here, and evidenced that opinion by putting his "money where his browser was"

In my mind, he is a contributor, participant, how ever we want to characterize (and I sense a guy with a good sense of humor given his post in this thread)

Frank has every right to publish these statistics, but I think they are only telling part of the story. If we are getting lots of hits and people are reading and learning that is wonderful. Keeping this a friendly place will eventually encourage those who want to post to do so. And if they don't post, so what? Not every library patron is also an author, so why think that every member here has to post?

Jay

Ian, I am reluctant to move this thread to the members only forum. Just as I think the statistics I have captured should be public knowledge, I think that the discussion of how I choose those particular statistics should be public knowledge.

Anyone (member or not) who is interested can use the publicly available facilities at Family Woodworking to capture the statistics that I chose to publish. And any member is quite at liberty to publish different statistics using different criteria.

Frank

As you know, I was very interested in the stats you collated for us. I don't see any reason to conceal them from the general public. I hope you'll continue to track our growth in whatever way you see fit.

I already expressed my reasons for wanting to move the thread. The response from others is that they're comfortable with it as and where it is. I will therefore withdraw my opposition to it.

I would merely like to add that my interest was never to put a stop to the debate (as if I could), but to move it somewhere a little less public.

I feel a gentle tension between two ideas. First of all, it would be neat to have more posts, but we are getting there and I'm not overly concerned about that. I just hope we aren't doing anything that would discourage folks from posting. I hope everyone has figured out that you don't have to be a woodworking guru to post here and get an interesting conversation going. Certainly anyone who has read my posts know that no intelligence is required:rofl:

Secondly, I don't see anything wrong with lurking. Its not like it costs us serious money, and from what Don says, the lurkers are contributing too. I read a lot of threads and leave them without posting just because I don't have anything to add.

So I hope everyone who's interested will pull up a chair and listen in. Speak up if you feel like it, but don't feel obliged.:thumb: