Portable Chest with Drawers - How to keep drawers from opening?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Just kind of thinking through how I want to make a sharpening station. What I'm wanting to make is something like a little chest. The top would be a sort of 'stone pond'. Under that there would be a couple of drawers to hold the stones and other accessories.

Leaving behind the questionable design issue of having the stone pond on top, my question is "What would be a way to keep the drawers from sliding open as I carry it from its storage place to the workbench to use it'.

I'm wanting to do something pretty nice, so am planning on making a nice case and will deal with doing what I need to do to keep the top water tight and being able to drain it.

So ideally, the mechanism to hold the draws closed would be hidden and only require a slight move of a latch or twist of a button to release the latch.

I'm confident the creative minds here will point me in the right direction...

you could also do it like a filing cabinet, a flat metal bar, that has some notches in it, when the bar is moved to one position, the notches line up with the drawers and they can slide out, when the bar is set to the second position, the notches do not line up and the drawers cannot slide out. The mechanism for moving the bar up and down could be anything from a simple knob on top of the unit, to a lever or such, it could even be set up so if the unit is picked up, off the table, the drawers cannot slide, when it is set down, the drawers slide :dunno:

I was thinking more of a knob that you pull out (spring loaded) that releases the catch. Or a latch that you squeeze the ends in to release the latch. The lift & pull went out with Fred & Barney & the stone age. But it is still quick & easy to build.

I was thinking more of a knob that you pull out (spring loaded) that releases the catch. Or a latch that you squeeze the ends in to release the latch. The lift & pull went out with Fred & Barney & the stone age. But it is still quick & easy to build.

Apparently, I need to go check out some newer RV's! :D

Thanks Bart!