Japanese cherry bowl

Wow Drew that bowl looked like a plastic one that had been put in the oven. I did not realize when guys say move just how much.:eek:

Wow Vaughn those are nice pieces. The first one is fantastic. I think i have seen it before but i never get tired of seeing it.

Thats one that can be made into a fine art poster for sure.:thumb:

The cracking issues you are having is something everybody i suppose everybody has run into one time or another.
I have some Pine that the gardner gave me (firewood would be a better term), decided one day to make some small vessels out of it.....turn to finish and sanded...... It cracked all over even from using the brown bag/cool area idea.

Next one I did, I also turned to finish and sanded then put it to soak (5 gal bucket--- mixture qt-varnish/gal-MS/gal linseed oil), 24hr and wet sanded over the bucket, dry for 24hrs and put it back in to soak again - I did this several times - (Ron Kent thing)...over the next 4-5 days.....then bagged it to dry for week or so.........It did not crack - but did warp a little bit

I think the soaking and wet sanding probably allowed the oil to get deep into the cells - replacing the water/moisture and thus stop the cracking.
I really dont like the pine - no character, cracking, sap etc.....so I cut the rest up into firewood.

I do have a small pile of mesquite that i really like working with - strong, colorful, very little movement, no cracking issues, and no need to go thru the rituals of bagging,... soaking etc-......(from my experience anyway). I finish turn the project and put 2-3 coats of AO/DO rubbing it in on the lathe, including oiling the inside - let it dry for 24hrs and part off the bottom and finish it let it dry for a week minimum then finish it with whatever I choose at that point............

Final thought - If im in doubt I soak and sand it.......Im sure DNA would work for displacing also.

Last edited: