Rock Maple question

I've just seen a web page that advertises and sells kitchen utensils made of Rock Maple, and they include the following explanation, I wonder how much of it is true.

"All of our kitchen utensils are made of Rock Maple which is the mineral section of the sugar tree grown here in Ontario, Canada. All of the dark lines and markings you see are actually minerals (rocks) embedded in the wood."

I know that one can find mineral deposits embedded in wood, I've found them myself in a couple of cases, but from that to what is stated there and the way it is said makes me think it is just selling mumbo jambo.:dunno:
Any hint will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Toni, I agree with Drew. I think the web page you saw is low on facts and high on hype. As deep as they are spreading, um, stuff, you might need these:

20051216-nokian.jpg

:D

Drew, Vaughn, thanks for the comments, as I'm not that familiar with maple trees/wood I just wondered, even within my ignorance it did sound like a lie to me:)

the mineral they are talking about is nothing more than staining,, it has nothing to do witht he wood being harder toni. some exotics do have a lot of sand sucked up threw there roots and can be in the wood from that tree.. havnt had it myslef but have read where it was bad enough in some spices to cause fast dulling of tools and sometimes sparks.. now the sparks i would say is strechtun it..

Why thats just marketing...:rofl::rofl::rofl: Stretching the truth.:D People buying a wooden spoon on the internet want a story more than the spoon i guess then the dummies can tell the story to someone else and start an urban legend.

Noun1.
6B87A-rock-maple.gif
rock maple - maple of eastern and central North America having three-lobed to five-lobed leaves and hard close-grained wood much used for cabinet work especially the curly-grained form; sap is chief source of maple syrup and maple sugar; many subspecies Acer saccharum, sugar maple
maple - any of numerous trees or shrubs of the genus Acer bearing winged seeds in pairs; north temperate zone

Their description of the maple they use is offbase. I took a look at their website and it looks like a husband and wife craft operation. They might seriously believe they are accurately describing the wood. Anyone contact them?

Cheers,

Their description of the maple they use is offbase. I took a look at their website and it looks like a husband and wife craft operation. They might seriously believe they are accurately describing the wood. Anyone contact them?

Cheers,

I just dropped them a note complimenting their work and the website, then asked if they had a scientific source for the info on rock maple. ;) (I figured I'd save the discussion about olive oil vs. mineral oil for another time.) :p

I just dropped them a note complimenting their work and the website, then asked if they had a scientific source for the info on rock maple. ;) (I figured I'd save the discussion about olive oil vs. mineral oil for another time.) :p

I wonder if you'll get any answer Vaughn...;) Maybe I should have put the link to the page to spare you the work of finding it.