Steam Bending Revisited

Dan Mooney

Well I finally found a small propane camp stove, and got back after the bending project. The only problem I ran into this time was everything was going along steamingly, when I noticed that the steam stopped coming out of the vent hole. I finally figured out that there was a dip in the hose between the water pot and the steam tube and water condensed in the dip and blocked the steam, I propped up the hose and the steam ran again. Now all I have to do is wait till I can take the pieces out of the form and see if it stays bent.

Camp Stove
attachment.php

Houston, We have Steam!
attachment.php

Hose propped up to drain condesation
attachment.php

Form
attachment.php

Finished
attachment.php

Attachments

• Steam.0001.jpg
    Steam.0001.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Steam.0002.jpg
    Steam.0002.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Steam.0003.jpg
    Steam.0003.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Steam.0004.jpg
    Steam.0004.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Steam.0005.jpg
    Steam.0005.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 88
Looks real good Dan! How long do you have to wait to take them out of the form?

Darren you only have to let the wood cool back to room temp before you can take it out of the form. That said I liked to leave mine in over night to also let them dry back out.:thumb:

Ya got 'er Dan! :thumb: Stand back everybody. Once ya bend something it's hard to do straight lines again. Ever see a flat bottom rocking chair? :rofl: BTW, that's the same propane unit as I'm using, Wallyworld for about 15 bucks.

Last edited:
Great Adventure and creative solution. Just this Sunday they (CBS) had a bit on the Bentwood Chairs and how 3 hrs of steam on a 1 1/4" Beech Rod, two men could bend to a frame and clamp over night to form the back legs and back.
Thanks for the inspirational posting. (Boy did I ever get my coffee and tune in just in time) Seems the Bentwood is the perfect design and most ecconomic use of wood in a chair design, although over the years the size of the seat has enlarged to meet the needs of our fat posteriors.

Last edited: