It's official--I'm retired!

Ron Jones

After 42 years of teaching, today was my last official day. The last week has been bitter-sweet. I still love teaching, but things happen and I know this was the right decision at the right time for me. I'm looking forward to the first sub-zero day with cutting winds, driving snow and slick roads when school is in session. I'll just turn over in bed and snuggle next to LOML. I'm looking forward to spending time with friends and family, working on the house, building the furniture LOML has wanted and traveling. I will continue my work with MS and HS sports, and take a more active part in my church. It seems like I have about 36 hours of activities planned for tomorrow. My retired friends tell me every day is like this. I'm going to love it.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Congratulations. I told my wife today, after watching an education related TV show, that I wouldn't last ten minutes as a teacher before I swatted some smart ass kid up side the head and got fired. You made 42 years and loved it. Glad there are dedicated folks like you.

Congratulations Ron, by your numbers I should have to go another 18 years! I figure 15, depending on what our state check and population do. Who knows, could get RIF'ed next year. What did you teach? Congratulations again, and kudos on not becoming a couch potato, my dad said he doesn't know when he had time to go to work based on the amount of projects and things to do. Enjoy yourself and your family.

My neighbor retired last year and he says that he thought with all the extra time he would have everything done on his place in the first week, but he says that no matter how much time there is he is still trying to get everything done and it just never seems to be enough time.

i know what you mean drew, i've never been so busy since i was unemployed. hopefully that will be taken care of soon. good luck with the retirement!:D:thumb:

I'm in the same boat Dan. I was layed off from the school district due to Government cutbacks last October.:( I am expecting to be rehired back this summer, but I went to a job interview last Thursday with a insurance reno company looking for experienced tradesmen in regards to finishing work. Even with the upcoming Knee surgery the company still wants me. So if nothing happens with the shool district I have a job to go to. :thumb:I have been getting pretty use to all this time off getting into the turning and thinking of it as a sort of pre semi retirement:thumb::thumb:. I know it will all end with the upcoming work and i have to get back into the daily routine again. :(

Welcome to the club, Ron! You're gonna find retirement enjoyable, I'm sure - I know the wife and I sure did.

It's especially nice on cold, snowy winter mornings when you can just look out the window, feel a bit of pity for those who have to go to work in that, and then go back to bed.:D:D:D

Congratulations Ron. I feel the same way Ted does. Thank goodness people like you exist cause i for one aint no teacher. You one special guy to put up with it for that many years.

Enjoy your retirement. :thumb:

Congrats Ron, with all your "new" projects to get done now...don't forget to take some time and enjoy retirement. I hear so many stories about how busy people become after they retire. RELAX....you've earned it!

Tom