It works fine for me. All 4 wheels lock on it and being as how its only a mini lathe, I don't turn anything too big on it. Just pens and other small projects.

It's got a channel underneath the lathe that directs the shavings out the back, and I did end up putting a plastic sheet over the front to keep the shavings from getting on the shelves.

Thanks! You just answered my question about the shavings. Nice setup.

I like the simplicity of the rack you built Paul. What sized drill bit did you use? Do you get any chips accumulating on the upper shelf?

If these questions are for me, I think I used about a 1" Forstner, but a 1 1/4" might have been better. No problem with chips because the top is higher than the lathe. The bottom is sloped down at about a 30' angle and they fall off it. I got this idea from a fishing pole rack I built.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made two of these lathe tool racks a few weeks ago. They really work well. Attached is the drawing.

Attachments

• Lathe Tool Rack-Model.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 44
  • P3040570.jpg
    P3040570.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 87
  • P3040571.jpg
    P3040571.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 99
If these questions are for me, I think I used about a 1" Forstner, but a 1 1/4" might have been better. No problem with chips because the top is higher than the lathe. The bottom is sloped down at about a 30' angle and they fall off it. I got this idea from a fishing pole rack I built.

Hi Paul I think you will find that I was the one asking you about it.:wave: I have no idea how Brent's name got attached to it. :huh:

Ok It is late and one thing led into another and I finally have the rack built. I did some modifications on the design and still have a few more ideas that I will tackle tomorrow. I made it with more spaces for future tools and used the ABS pipe idea for a couple of tools that just wouldn't fit the rack. Here is a pic and please forgive the quality either it is blurry or I am just seeing it that way.:bonkers: time for :zzz: :zzz:

Attachments

• Tool rack 001.JPG
    Tool rack 001.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 91
You are a "Get er done" type of man, I would have studied and pondered for a week before even starting. I think you will be happy with it. Nice job.

My only question is haw many times are you going to reach up to plug or unplug something and cut yourself on the end of a tool before you move the rack to the right a little?

Last edited:
You are a "Get er done" type of man, I would have studied and pondered for a week before even starting. I think you will be happy with it. Nice job.

My only question is haw many times are you going to reach up to plug or unplug something and cut yourself on the end of a tool before you move the rack to the right a little?

Yea No grass grows under my feet Paul. I still have sanding to do and there are some things that I would have done a bit different if I had stopped and thought more about it at the time ( like routing a small round over on all the holes), but that would just take time away from Turning. About the power bar, when I get the lathe running on the 240 volt set up I plan of wiring in a 120 box right under the 240 box and eliminating the power bar all together. In the mean time I will shift all the tools two spaces to the rights. :D

Allen, I don't want to gnaw at something that works for you... but, from the picture it appears to me that the handles of the tools will be in the way of approaching the work. I like to stand close and comfortable.

Also where do you put your feet? mine go under the stand as I have left room for ME when designing my stand. I keep my tools in drawers under the lathe and have a small rack that affixes to the bed for the half dozen that are used with various projects, As I need one I place it in the small rack and leave the rest in storage.

Last edited:
Yea Bill I agree as I use lots of body launguage around the lathe and standing close is a big thing for me too. I got this idea from a fellow on another site and am going to build one for my lathe too. I also want to build a bank of drawers under the lathe for some of the misc things that i have rolling around on the back wall. I will build it so that I can stand as close to the front of the lathe as possible and be able to get my feet under it.

Attachments

• chisel%20holder%20003%20(Small).jpg
    chisel%20holder%20003%20(Small).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 69
Chisel storage for lathe tools

Hello Drew, here are two photos of the tool rack behind my lathe. The strip at the top is magnetic and holds the tools in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0011_1.JPG
    IMG_0011_1.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 89
  • P6080129_1.JPG
    P6080129_1.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 98
Hello Drew, here are two photos of the tool rack behind my lathe. The strip at the top is magnetic and holds the tools in place.

Hi Millar That is a good looking rack. I did think about doing that type of rack but I started questioning about magnets transfering some magnatism to the tools. The thought of grinding and the tools picking up the fine metal filings. Do you have such a problem?

Well I got out into the shop today and did some time on the lathe. I must say that rack works great. I will look at building one of the swing racks too as i still find myself laying tools down on the bed while turning. No chips or curlies on the rack though so i am very impressed. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

When I read this thread a few months ago, it reminded me to build a tool rack based on an article I read in WOODSMITH Magazine, Vol. 31, No. 185, October/November 2009, page 6, by Dave Gahimer of Rockville, Indiana. My “shop” is my half of the garage, 12’ X 20’ and I have very limited wall space, so I don’t have the luxury of being able to mount tools on the wall where they are accessible.

I altered Dave’s original plan by adding an extra storage shelf which increased the height to 47 1/2 “ from about 36”. Because of the extra height, I increased the base from his plan of 18” to 24” for added stability.

Photo 1 - Tool Cart

The center support is 4” plastic pipe fitted over 4” disks glued to the top and bottom of each shelf, ¾” ply (the top and base have on only one disk).

Photo 2 – Gluing up the pipe disks.

3/8” All Thread runs through the center of all the disks and pipe. Four – 2” locking swiven casters are mounted to the base.

Photo 3 - Base with pipe disk.
Photo 4 – Pipe mounted to base

The shelves have a one inch ring around the outside to prevent items from rolling off.

Photo 5 – Base and top.

The top holds chuck wrenches and small items.

Photo 6 – Top Shelf

I drilled the holes for the irons so they would sit at an angle so I could have a wider top shelf. The third shelf also holds my collets and centers.

Photo 7 - Second shelf
Photo 8 – Third shelf.

The bottom two shelves are for storage.

Photo 9 – Storage shelves.

Attachments

• Third shelf.JPG
    Third shelf.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Storage shelfs.JPG
    Storage shelfs.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Top Shelf.JPG
    Top Shelf.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Base and top.JPG
    Base and top.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Base with pipe.JPG
    Base with pipe.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Base with pipe disk.JPG
    Base with pipe disk.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 56
  • Glueing up the pipe disks.JPG
    Glueing up the pipe disks.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Tool Cart.JPG
    Tool Cart.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 72
that looks like a wize use of space chuck,, the only thing yu need to watch for is thunking your tools against your chucks.. which wouldnt be good for either.