compressor needs

Chris Mire

what size air compressor do i need for a one man shop. well i guess it's a two man shop since my dad will be helping. for the time being we will just be running nail guns and such. no sprayers or air tools like sanders and stuff.

what is the difference between single stage and 2-stage?

i would like to just go ahead and get an IR. I can't afford to get the big IR like a 80gal, so i'd have to go smaller, probably no bigger than 60 gal.

deciding on what tools to buy and how best to spend my money is the hardest thing to do. i was excited about being able to buy all my tools. but this is not always fun. :(

thanks for any advice
chris

Chris,

What exactly will you be using it for...and what is you budget for a "system"...?

I paid more for my framing and finish nailers (Senco) than for my compressor. Add hoses, filters, etc., and you have a pretty good investment. I chose a Craftsman:

View attachment 4102

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ir+Compressors+&+Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

It's done everything I've asked of it, from blowing off my work bench, inflating tires, nailing and even spraying stain/sealer on 600 L/ft of 6' high cedar fencing. Never a problem in 5 years. It's oil cooled, I recommend it, and is quiet compaired to oil-less.

You don't need the biggest and baddest compressor.... Working with air is like Turning.... The compressor is the lathe, and the rest of the things you need/want is what breaks the bank!!!!

Last edited:
If you can't go for the IR, then as Gregg says find a good smaller one. I agree with the oil type. I have an oil-less that is louder than the Clear Vue that it sits next to.

Hi Chris. One of the better compromises is the smaller Ingersoll Rand compressor like their 3 hp, 60 gal. unit for under $600 delivered. The folks at Northern Tool has a good selection of compressors, and associated air tools. I bought my 5 HP IR through Northern Tool.

Single stage or 2 stage? With a single stage the air is taken into the compressor cylinder, compressed, and then exhausted into the receiver(storage tank.) A 2 stage compressor takes air into one cylinder, compresses it and then exhausts it into a second cylinder. The second cylinder(stage 2) then takes the air from the first cylinder(stage 1) and compresses it further before exhausting it into the receiver.

Be aware, not all 2 cylinder compressors are two stage compressors. Make sure you know what you are buying. Some are 2 cylinder, single stage units where both cylinders exhaust directly into the receiver.

Another consideration is oil versus oil-less. Basic rule: never buy an oil-less compressor. They are noisier and will wear out quicker.

Finally, you will want to put the compressor in a separate room if possible, or build a sound proof enclosure around it. Any sizable compressor will make a lot of noise.

Oh yes, did I mention to not buy an oil-less compressor?

i will just be using the compressor to power my nail guns and staple guns and such. right now i'm just using a little pancake 6 gallon and it keeps up with me while i'm building cabinets. but it runs pretty often and i know with constant use it will eventually burn up, plus as it has been pointed out it is very loud.

i can afford the 3hp 60 gallon so that might be a good option for me. we have a grainger store locally and i could get it there and pick it up.

thanks for the great info guys.

chris

I also like Ingersol Rand for compressors. If you have a Tractor Supply around check their prices as they had Northern Tool beat last year when I bought mine and I could pick it up right away without having to wait for shipping. They do not have the selection that Northern Tool has but they usually have the 3hp 60gal single stage and the 5hp 80gal single stage. I don't know how the Grainger prices compare.

My advice is to buy the largest that you can easily afford and that you have a place for. Over the years I have bought what was adequate at the time but later was not. Just a waste of money selling low on the used market and buying high. My suggestion would be to buy at least the 3hp 60gal unit. A good compressor for the money. It is larger than you need for what you are going to use if for now but I would be willing to bet that you will be glad that you have it when, not if, you decide that you want to add tools to use with it at a later time. What a pleasure it is to have more air than you need and not have the thing running all of the time trying to catch up.

Last edited:
Larger is nice, but you need to look at the cfm rating. The higher the rating the less it will have to run. All air tools have how many cfm they need to run properly. This will tell you what you will need for a compressor. Good luck and let us know what you get.

chris, i`d suggest getting one that would continue to serve you well down the road.......this is my site compressor, a single stage quincy....it`ll run nail guns all day and in a pinch will run my binks m1g but it`s to small to sand with...
MVC-233S.JPG

if you plan on upgrading in the future to a shop compressor buying one like this makes good sence `cause it`s big enough to handle most install work, well built enough to last, yet small enough both physically and power-wise to drag out on site.......something to think about.......tod

Al and Allen,

thanks for the advice.

tod,

i'll have to look into that. although i am kinda spoiled to carrying around my lil pancake on job sites. after all it only runs one nail gun and a brad gun on installs. my drills do all the hard work. :thumb:

i need to call my local quincy dealer and check out some prices.

thanks guys
chris

Another option for site compressors is Rol-Air. I've got one of their 2hp units, and its surprisingly easy to move in spite of weighing 200#. Produces 8 cfm at 100psi, does everything I'm likely to need for the forseeable future (not into air sanders you see). Nicest thing about this one or a Quincy is that they are quiet. Low rpm and big displacement means you can actually hear yourself think with one of these running in the room.

Last edited:
rol-air is good `ol american made stuff too! find a local service center and see what they stock parts for and go with that brand....tod

thanks john,

i saw rol-air in the tool place i went to this weekend, but i had never heard of them so i wasn't sure if they were good or not.

thanks tod i'll check into them as well.

chris