Solar Pool Heater

...I'm liking the idea of boxing in the tubes, I think that should work pretty well, adn help to extend my season, if we ever get any sun here this year!

Check places like Goodwill, or Habitat for Humanity Resale stores. They sometimes get used patio doors/windows that will make good covers for the tubing. Try to find older ones with single pane glazing, since double glazed or coated ones don't work as well.

Ok, the pool has come up about 9 degrees since I put it in. It's at 64 degrees right now.

Didn't run it on Monday, but did yesterday and it was cloudy all day.

Bad news is it is supposed to be mostly cloudy the rest of the week with a chance for rain tomorrow..

And the outside temps are still pretty cool. Maybe if I heal up a little more by the weekend I'll put some plastic over the pipes to see if I can get a bigger bang for the buck.

I'm thinking it works. Installed it last weekend before the bike wreck.

Only had 2 sunny days, yesterday and today, and the temp is now 85 degrees, which is very swimmable...

If only I wasn't covered in half healed scrapes all over my right side... :thumb:

Been watching with great interest. Started doing a little home work and I think that this is on my list to do. Just watching to see hows yours does but sounds promising.

You don't really need the heater, Brent...

red-neck-hot-tub.jpg

Just took the first dip of the year!

84 degrees is a very comfortable pool temp, especially when the air temp is not quite 80 degrees... Could actually feel the water coming out of the heater into the pool was a few degrees warmer than pool temp.

Need to slap a little more paint on it and stake it down tight, but I'm happy with it.

I know last year with just the solar cover, it tool a long time to get out of the 60's. The combo of the two has already made it more comfortable for 'iffy' days, and just might help extend the season later on..

Keep in mind my pool is a 20' round above ground. Larger pools would need a larger heater, I'm thinking...