Granite tile countertops

Alan Bienlein

Well I'm at a point in my kitchen remodel that I need one of the tops before I can install some of the cabinets that sit on the top. Was going to go with laminate but decided to do the tops out of granite tile. Has anyone here attempted something like this or have tops like this?

Well Don I'm looking to do this myself and was wondering if there was anyhting I need to be aware of. I'm going to do a 3/8" bevel edge. How have yours held up. Any special maintanence I should know about?

Well this will be an experience. I just ordered a new tool today to do it. Will post it in new tools when it comes in. I've watched the granite guys on my jobsites and I hope I retained something for when I attempt mine.

I like them with a small grout line less than 1/8" using non-sanded grout.

Make sure they are sealed before grouting to prevent staining. Typically I select a grout and then go one or two shades darker.

Use your preferred method for the substrate. DON'T do mastic directly to plywood.

Cheers,

I'm going to use 3/4" plywood with 1/4" hardibacker screwed to it. Then I will use thinset if I'm not mistaken. Will have to double check on that.