Snap Tennon

Dan Mosley

The other day I turned a small vessel and I snapped the tenon while I was hollowing. Reason being, I had turned the base down before hollowing (mistake #1) and the tennon was about 1" diameter. Then I started hollowing and the torque of the cut just snapped it off.

I put it on the work bench for the past couple days and I was going to throw it in the wood pile but I decided to try something. I still had the part that was in the chuck so i put it back in and leveled the surface. Then I took it over to the drill press and put a 1" hole thru it with a forestner bit.

See Pic #1 - I then used some epoxy I had laying around to coat the tennon and on the inside of the hole.
See Pic #2 - then put one inside the other and put it back in the chuck and used the tailstock to clamp it.

Now ill let it dry good and see if I can recut it and rehollow it without it comming apart again................

Attachments

• Glued-1.jpg
    Glued-1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 64
  • Glued-2.jpg
    Glued-2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Today I turned and finished the above small vessel and have it soaking in a oil/varnish/MS solution..........saved it ...........pictures later when I get it out of soak

Good deal, Dan. I've got one in the final finishing stages that I broke the tenon on. It didn't break at speed...I noticed it wasn't running true all of a sudden, so I shut the lathe down and found the tenon had cracked. I broke it off the rest of the way and just used Titebond to put in back on. Finished turning it the next day with no issues.

If there are any gaps to fill, epoxy is the best choice. If the break is clean and it can go back together tightly, a Titebond joint will be stronger than the wood itself. :thumb: