what epoxy?

Frank Fusco

Until recently I have used a name brand, twin hypodermic type dual tube, epoxy for my shop needs, mostly pen making. Even though it is expensive that way I found it handy and it did not harden between uses. Not long ago, Wal-Mart stopped carrying the brand I was using and now has a no-name version. Not good. It often does not set-up and just stays gooey and won't hold. I'm considering getting the bulk size from one of the better known suppliers. Any comments on this would be appreciated. e.g is it good? Does it go bad? Or good deal?

Some years ago I started using System Three epoxy, and have been happy with it. I bought this brand because I thought their Epoxy Book was very good. As a chemist, I find product literature to be very bad in general, and almost never accurate. This is an exception. West also has a lot of information on the web that I don't want to disparage, but I have not checked it out as carefully.

System Three also has trial kits that include enough of several different kinds of epoxies to let you know how they work. A trial kit probably has more epoxy than the small containers you've been buying, but you are warned that you may well find more uses for the stuff and want to buy a lot more. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to refund the entire price of the trial kit if you bought more.

Epoxy Book:
http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/m_published-literature.asp

Trial Kit:
http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/SilverTip-Trial-Kit-48p235.htm

west dont mess around get the pumps and be done with it you wont regret. just remember to mix scrape into new jar mix again. problem fixed. i would go three to one system

Until recently I have used a name brand, twin hypodermic type dual tube, epoxy for my shop needs, mostly pen making. Even though it is expensive that way I found it handy and it did not harden between uses. Not long ago, Wal-Mart stopped carrying the brand I was using and now has a no-name version. Not good. It often does not set-up and just stays gooey and won't hold. I'm considering getting the bulk size from one of the better known suppliers. Any comments on this would be appreciated. e.g is it good? Does it go bad? Or good deal?

Frank,
I was using the twin hypo type from WM too, and last time in couldn't find anything in epoxy.. 'course our WallyWorld in Madisonville is a smaller store... if I go on up to Maryville, they have a new super center there that's better stocked... except they don't carry my wipe on poly, but Madisonville does... go figure..

For your epoxy, if you don't mind mixing... suggest contact Monty in Houston... he sells in 2 and 4 ounce bottles... 5 minute epoxy that works well for me on my pepper mills. Price is good and on all shipments over $20 he ships for no charge... I order on Monday and have the glue on Wednesday or Thursday.

west dont mess around get the pumps and be done with it you wont regret. just remember to mix scrape into new jar mix again. problem fixed. i would go three to one system

so you are suggesting using WEST products and there pumps, and using a three to one mix, doug? what do you mean by mix scrape into new jar mix again????

I have used SystemThree for years. I color it to match the wood or in some cases of Marble top repair I've colored it to match. Buffs up nice. I am the only shop in the DC area to give a 3 year guarantee with glue ups and never had anything come back.

All you guys using this epoxy ...how long does the stuff last once you open it.

Say one buys a set up with a pump so you can keep them, how long can they be kept and how should they be stored.

Alan you being a chemist an all is there that much difference between

East

West

System Three

How the heck does one choose. I have been going through this choice for some time. Thanks Frank for bring this up.

I need to decide on an expoxy to use for the Canoe i plan to build. It would be used for laminating the glass fibre cloth to the strip canoe.

Some say East, some say West and now i hear System Three. :dunno: Oh there is also a MAS

How to decide. ???:huh: