table top dilemma

I think I know the answer to this, but here goes anyhow...

I'm making a top for a dining table that will be about 68 inches long. Thought I had enough boards that long, but I came up a little short when I laid them all out. Making the table narrower is not a option.

So, do I head out to the lumberyard or have at least one section made up of two pieces butting each other? Other than aesthetics, is there a problem with this? Any special technique to use or just glue it up? The top is 5/4 walnut, which should mill out at about an inch.

What do you think?:dunno:

That's a tough one Jesse, I was almost faced with that problem on the desk I am working on when I needed some 10 foot 5/4 white oak. Fortunately my hardwood supplier came through. I think it would look a little funny with on one or two of the pieces in the glue up done like that. I'd probably just go get some longer boards.

I have made several "Non important" shop tables and tables for the fishing camp by joining shorts (using Biscuits) endgrain and laminating full length pieces either side. worked well and is as strong as any other. In rough work it works fine as well as utility pieces but I think that sense you have already invested a considerable amount in Walnut and the additional investment of time and effort as well, I would not allow the cost of another piece of wood to get in the way. Although it will look fine and be fine, you will always know it is there and wish otherwise.

As an example; 20+ years ago I had a fireplace bricked for a room addition I was building. After the job was finished the mason pointed out an error where he had lain a brick with the face turned in (bricks have one good face and one good end, the others are off on the texture and color) I see that darn brick everytime I sit and watch TV in front of the fire. No one else in the house has ever noticed it or care but I know it is there and I can't help but see it.

My humble $0.02 worth of slanted opinion.

Jesse,

Just to play devils advocate, think about the opposite side of the coin.

You go out and buy a board to add the extra piece, and the color is slightly different.

Same thing, you will always see it, and know it's there.:rofl:

Structually.. it's no problem.

As long as the butt join is in the middle of the table the only issue will be cosmetic.

Personally I would look for some longer boards, but that just for aesthetic reasons ;)

Cheers

Ian

Hi Jesse, :wave:
Is there the chance that you could cap the end grain on each end with a board running perpendicular to the main boards, spline it in and get the total length that way? It may also help maintain a flat surface being locked in that way.
Shaz

First thing that came to my mind as well, was the Bread Board ends. But I forgot that thought as it would require two additional pieces of wood to complete the ends.

Another thought on the idea is to make it a design feature. Not with just one joint in the top but a random scattered several joints in the top. Just a thought, not knowing the design of the rest of the table.

Hi Jesse;
On a somewhat smaller scale, I've run accross this before. I would think another trip to the wood supplier is in order. I like simple breadboard ends. Maybe you could devide the table in half and put the breadboard pieces in the middle, leaving the outside ends clean.

Depending on the width needed, this is where I've taken the chance at some nice joinery, such as bridle joints for the four corners. Or miter the corners and put in corner keys, maybe of a wood slightly lighter or darker in contrast.
Good Luck, Mike in CA

Last edited: