Bone Chair

I get this call from NY and ask if I repair bone chairs. I talk with the person trying to determan if the chair is bone or a Faux paint job and at this point the person has no clue. Well they bring the chair down and I see's it and I become like a kid, I love this stuff ! Bone [ivory chair] needless to say I jump at the chance to repair it. I have the materials and will finish this one up this week. It has had one repair before as seen in the lighter color tone on the rest [back]

Attachments

• CIMG0039.JPG
    CIMG0039.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 40
  • CIMG0040.JPG
    CIMG0040.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 35
  • CIMG0042.JPG
    CIMG0042.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG0043.JPG
    CIMG0043.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 35
  • CIMG0044.JPG
    CIMG0044.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 33
Dave, I am ignorant on this type of chair. Have never heard of it or seen one before this picture you posted. You stated, ivory, so I assume seeing the picture that it isn't solid ivory. Is it ivory laminated onto a wooden skeletal structure? If so, then I assume the repair to the structure is pretty straight forward, but then how do you repair the ivory? Yup, find this interesting. :D

Never heard about them either, but it looks to me as if it was bone strips laminated on top of a wooden frame.
If it is true ivory that chair must be worth thousands.

I started my repair, laid in the right material and I decided to go with System Three 2 part epoxy it has the right yellowing to match and can be sanded and buffed. I laid the epoxy on a little heavy so not to get any low spots. I hate low spots. The in-lay part was simple, just cut and tweek to fit the material :D
The chair is Ivory strips about 1/2" in width and 2-4" in length approx. 1/8th" thick. Yes the chair is worth big bucks. How much I have no idea but considering Ivory sells for 250 an ounce and the artisans work it would be a LOT ! LOL

Attachments

• CIMG0060.JPG
    CIMG0060.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG0061.JPG
    CIMG0061.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 22