Butterfly table, of sorts

Scott Rongey

Here's a table I made for our county fair. The wings are a book-matched slab of almond, the body and legs are walnut, and brass bars were used for assembly.

Attachments

• Butterfly Table 1a.jpg
    Butterfly Table 1a.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Butterfly Table 2a.jpg
    Butterfly Table 2a.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Butterfly Table 3a.jpg
    Butterfly Table 3a.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Butterfly Table 4a.jpg
    Butterfly Table 4a.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 38
Scott,
Thats a very interesting piece. It has some very interesting eleiments but I may need to think about it more before I comment. I like some elements on it but I am not sure about others. The wings (table top) and the legs reflect the butterfly but the center seems to take away..hmmm:huh::huh:

I don't often make comment so maybe I should back away from this one.:dunno:

Last edited:
Looks like a winner to me, Scott. :thumb: To my eye, the different elements seem to work together nicely. I really like the shape of the tops of the legs under the table. The almond slabs are beautiful, too.

I really need to get down to Del Mar one of these years to see all the woodworking. There is essentially no woodworking displayed at the LA County Fair...Del Mar is apparently the place where it all happens. (Heck, one of these days I'd like to enter a piece or two. I see I've already missed this year's deadline.)

Thanks for the feedback. I realize it might be hard to know the scale from the pictures. It is roughly 33 in long, 26 in wide and 17 in high. I've had the almond slabs a few years and finally got around to doing something with them. I realized that I could clean up the free form edges to give a nice set of wings and the various colors of the grain pattern seemed butterfly-ish. I wanted the legs to capture the idea and provide support to the wings as well. I like how the legs and wings turned out but I tend to agree with Don that there's something about the body that doesn't mesh as well as it could. I think it should probably be contoured more to complement the curves of the wings.

Vaughn, yes you should get down to Del Mar; there's a lot of impressive stuff on display.

i also like the total picture and that almond is great looking wood.. the body part in my opinion should be the same hieght as the table rather than higher.. but i am not a artist so take it for whats it worth

Very creative and clever in my view. Well thought out and executed. Sure can see the Butterfly in it.

My first thought was a his and hers table with clear lines of territory. :rofl: Something to go between to arm chairs with bob and martha on either side. Can just here her saying "you keep your beer and nuts on your side now dear, be a good boy now" :rofl::rofl:

Absolute artistry. Don't change a thing, the natural form was used perfectly. :thumb:
BTW, you obviously did not see the rule about new members showing up us old timers. ;) Seriously, your table is great and you are setting an example.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:WOWSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
That is beautiful! Without the word butterfly, that would have come to mind without the prompt. Beautiful execution of the whole thing. It is artistic with functional opportunities. That is just amazing. I hope you win the show at the fair. :thumb::thumb::thumb: